Open G string buzzing - how to fix?

TobyDog

Reaction score
I very recently bought a used Koaloha concert uke (2012). It had been sitting in storage for several years.

I put a new set of Worth strings on it, and it sounds great except for buzzing from the open G string. Notes going up the string sound fine.

It's a high G now. While it sat in storage it had a low G on it.

Is this something I can fix, or do I need to see a luthier?
thanks!

Was the notch in the nut for the low g cut a little wider and deeper to accommodate a fatter string? Did you try the paper trick (a piece of paper in the nut notch) to raise the high G sting? If that works, maybe you need a new nut or some filler. Also I have noticed that Worth strings sometimes don’t have as high a tension as other strings.

It's the nut slot. Too wide for the thinner string so the string moves around in the slot = buzz.

The temporary fix is a scrap of paper. The long term fix is to fill and recut the slot.

It does sound as if the nut slot may be too low. But a quick diagnostic check is to try playing with a capo at the first fret, and see if the buzzing stops. If it does, the next step would be the superglue trick, or shim the entire nut. But if you do the superglue, be sure to use a real nut file when you recut the slot, not a triangle file.

As everyone has stated, it is most likely the nut. There is one thing you can check before the superglue or replace route; check to make sure the nut slot was cut at an angle (deeper on the tuner side than the fretboard side of the nut). If the slot is cut slightly deeper on the fretboard side the string will buzz.

If you don’t have nut files you can go to Harbor Freight, or similar store, and get some welding torch tip cleaners and angle the slot to be deeper on the tuner side. My rule of thumb has been to angle the same that the string will be when tuned. Some people will go a little deeper. I use 400/600 wet and dry sandpaper after I’m done to smooth the slot so the string will slide better.

John

Thank all of you for the helpful information. With such a nice instrument I think I should let a professional take care of it. I'll try the piece of paper trick until I locate a luthier. I'm still really happy with it.

Happy New Year!

Thank all of you for the helpful information. With such a nice instrument I think I should let a professional take care of it. I'll try the piece of paper trick until I locate a luthier. I'm still really happy with it.

Happy New Year!

A little paper in the nut slot can work wonders. You might also consider trying a slightly thicker string.

Just to let all of you know...........the paper trick fixed the buzzing!
I'm loving the uke, and the Worth strings;)

Thank you for the suggestions!

Top Bottom