Strings to warm up a bright Tenor?

Astein2006

Reaction score
I have a Spruce top cherry back/sides tenor that my wife had made for me for our anniversary. It is strung with Worth clears. With that combination it is too bright for my taste. I know the wood combo lends itself to being bright and thats cool. I just want to take some highs off and warm it up. I have narrowed it down to two strings sets.
D'addario EJ65t (a-.0285, e-.0327,c-.0410, g-.0290)
Ko'olau Mahana (a-.029, e-.033, c-.041, g-.032)

These are nylon vs. fluorocarbon(Worths)

I have a Kamaka Standard uke with their stock strings which I understand are D'addario's. I personally love the sound on this uke. I know it's made of Koa so it's going to be warmer than the woods on my tenor.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these sets on a tenor with similar wood? Or any string suggestions to warm up my tenor other than the ones I listed here. Thanks all!

I have a Spruce/Rosewood Cordobo 32T which is probably similar to the uke you have though I have never had one with Cherry back and sides so take what I say with that in mind. I love the sound of Spruce/Rosewood whenever I hear someone play one but I have not been able to bond with this instrument. I've tried all of the D'addario sets as well as some Aqullia sets as well as Savarez carbon trebles but nothing sounded right to me. So I went in a totally different direction and use John Pearse fingerpicking trebles on it (they have become my favorite string, especially on my Teton tenor). I like the sound much better though they may not be anyone else's cup of tea as it were. For me, trying to warm the sound up just didn't work and I didn't like the sound of carbons on it. My advice is to just try lots of sets and see what works. Be bold, try using classical guitar strings and see if you get something you like that way. Strings are pretty cheap and while it takes time for a set to settle in changing them out isn't a big deal so don't limit yourself to just a couple of sets to try.

John

Worth Browns are fluorocarbon correct? In general are nylon strings less bright than fluorcarbon?

Yes, nylon strings will be less bright. Do you play with high or low G? Finger pick or strum?

John

Last edited:
Yes they are fluorocarbon strings and some say fluorocarbons are less bright than nylons, https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...erence-between-nylon-amp-flourocarbon-Strings.

The linked thread has a great response by Dirk Wormhoudt. Dirk was a string master and owner of Southcoast Strings. I’ve had an overly bright ukulele since 2007. I’ve tried so many different fluorocarbon strings including Worth clear and browns, nylon strings, as well as different varieties of fishing leader. My advice is to try different strings and see how they work on your ukulele.

In my string experiments, I never really found one that solved the brightness; but today the uke has a very nice mellow tone... it is tuned to Bb. That may not be the answer for you if you sing and play with others, but for my fingerstyle type of playing it is not an issue.

John

The d'Addario website has a cool slider feature for each of their string families that has the various string types ordered by tonal characteristics. They classify fluorocarbon as most bright, and black nylon as most mellow.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsUkulele.Page

I just ordered a set of the strings that come stock on the Kamaka Tenor. Black nylon and I believe also made by D'addario. I am going to try these first. I don't like fluorocarbons. They feel too thin under my fingers and too bright on the whole. I already own a Kamaka soprano with their stock strings and love the sound. Granted this a different build and wood but im hoping the strings offer a measure of warmth and mellowness. Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom