How many strings should I get?

fretie

Reaction score
...on my next custom uke?
I want get a custom tenor built with a shimmer to its sound. I could get an 8 string, that would shimmer for sure. We’ve been trying to actually order an 8 string from an Ohana dealer up here in the northland but that hasn’t been moving along quickly...fodder for another thread.

So, if I go custom, I can get any number of strings: five, six, eight. I’d like to hear your points of view on this choice. What would you get and why or not get and why not?

I think that it is totally up to you. Everyone has their own opinion, and mine is that four strings are enough, but you aren't buying it for me. So whatever talks to you, just do it.

It's not only the number of strings but also if you have some or all in unison or some or all in octaves. There are so many options that the only way to find out what works for you is to go to stores and try them all out. Traditional 8 string tenor or taropatch concert can both be great supplements if you already have 4 strings in all sizes.

I have a 5 string with a Low & High G. I can play the strings individually, or together depending on what sound I would like to get.

I have 2 nearly identical Oscar-Schmidt's, one a 4 string and one a taropatch 8 string.
The shimmer is strong on the taropatch!

If more strings add more shimmer than you must need a tiple

Do you have the chance to play some, so you can hear and feel the instrument and determine what works for you?

I have a Tiple, but I have it strung with 8 strings rather than 10. I use a high and low G and the rest in pairs. It allows me to play music that is arranged in high or low G and there is a nice full sound. My old tiple has a fairly thin top and fan bracing, so I put a set of Worth Browns on it and it sounds quite good.

Gentlemen, your input is much appreciated!

Of course, if I could try out various double string combinations, I would feel like I was the bees knees. But that is not an option around here. Lucky I am a risk taker.

At the moment I am leaning towards a 6 string tenor: G, aA, e, cC or perhaps g, aA, e, cC

Could do a 5 string with high and low G. I play mostly fingerstyle, so the high and low G is very versatile, (in my case I do have pairs on the others as well, but not octave). It really depends on your playing style and what you want out of the instrument. You might do well to just go on YouTube and seek out people playing with different string combinations.

Last edited:
After listening to many Youtube videos and reading many a thread here on UU, and, of course having no access to trying out either a 5 or a 6 string uke, I am leaning towards getting a 5 string now. Why? Well, the double G’s balancing out each other and adding a richer tone appeals to me. And interestingly but not surprisingly for me, the many variations that can be created with the 6 strings actually puts me off being that I’m not one for doing string swaps, in fact, I don’t even enjoy changing my regular string when they need to be refreshed.

So, I’ll wait to let me decision settle in before contacting my luthier about this new uke build, just to be sure the choice feels right. Ah, yes, so, why the custom? Well, 5 stringers are not that easy to come by, firstly. Secondly, isn’t it fun to go through the process of having a completely new, never built before, unique ukulele crafted?!

$315 plus shipping is a solid price and a modest risk compared to what you’d pay for an unknown from a luthier. I’ve owned several custom-made ukes (all but one were pre-owned) and wound up reselling them. They were great for the next owners but not me.

Depending on your budget, it might be worthwhile to travel to a large uke dealer and give several a test drive before committing. Just a thought.

After listening to many Youtube videos and reading many a thread here on UU, and, of course having no access to trying out either a 5 or a 6 string uke, I am leaning towards getting a 5 string now. Why? Well, the double G’s balancing out each other and adding a richer tone appeals to me. And interestingly but not surprisingly for me, the many variations that can be created with the 6 strings actually puts me off being that I’m not one for doing string swaps, in fact, I don’t even enjoy changing my regular string when they need to be refreshed.

So, I’ll wait to let me decision settle in before contacting my luthier about this new uke build, just to be sure the choice feels right. Ah, yes, so, why the custom? Well, 5 stringers are not that easy to come by, firstly. Secondly, isn’t it fun to go through the process of having a completely new, never built before, unique ukulele crafted?!

5-string ukes are very cool and a great compromise for those undecided between linear and re-entrant stringing. For a custom build you also have to make the important decision on the order of the high and low G as the luthier will have to cut the nut slots and saddle compensation accordingly. In Hawaiian stores, I have seen 5-string ukes with either high or low G on top, and both play and sound quite different.

There are five string ukes and five string ukes.
One of them has five strings, each tuned to a different note. Like DGCEA.
The other type has four strings with one string doubled. Like GgCEA.
Reading the posts, I think this thread is about the version which has doubled strings.

Yes, I’m thinking gGcea

I’d like to not miss hitting the high G, so plan to place it first. Also, it will be easier to pick the high G, I think, if it is on the outside of the fretboard.

Yes, I’m thinking gGcea

I’d like to not miss hitting the high G, so plan to place it first. Also, it will be easier to pick the high G, I think, if it is on the outside of the fretboard.

I think you will really like the 5 string, I had a Compass Rose 5 string set up the way you have listed. If you want even more shimmer from it use a wound string for the low G and a wound string for the C, that is what I did, sounded wonderful.

I was going to mention the Kala cedar top that Jim listed for you. Have Long and McQuad see if they can order one up for you, they have a very generous return policy if you don't like it.

Thanks, Dave, good idea about the wound C string to complement the wound low G. So then the strings would be: gGCea, correct? In other words, the wound C would be the lower octave C?

Thanks, Dave, good idea about the wound C string to complement the wound low G. So then the strings would be: gGCea, correct? In other words, the wound C would be the lower octave C?

The C om the third string (counting up from the A string) is always an octave lower than the C you get by playing the note on the thrid fret of the A string. The decision to get a wound C string or a nonwound C string doesn't change the octave of the third string, but it can affect the tone. Some unwound C strings sound a little "thunky" because they are thick, but even among those nonwound strings that aren't thunky, some players prefer a wound C string if they're using a wound low G string because the tone of the two wound strings will be similar and the wound G string won't stick out soundwise as much (if that makes sense).

At the moment I am leaning towards a 6 string tenor: G, aA, e, cC or perhaps g, aA, e, cC

I hope you meant G cC, e, aA or g, cC, e, aA, if you're going in order from the fourth string (the one closest to your face when you're playing the uke) to the first string (the one closest to the ground).

Top Bottom