Slotted Headstocks?

Rllink

Reaction score
I've seen several threads lately where people are talking about how much they love slotted headstocks. Why? I'll go ahead and start by saying that I'm not particularly attracted to them. I'm just asking for the sake of discussion.

Classical guitars and 19th and early 20th century guitars often had them. They are classic and they also put additional downward force on the nut. They allow for the use of very nice geared tuners without having the knobs sticking out like ears, (I never liked that on a banjo or ukulele). The downside is that they are a little more difficult to string. It comes down to preference, but unless the instrument is vintage, or a replica of a vintage instrument, I prefer them and I preferred them on my guitars as well. I also like the way the slots expose the different layers and shades of the wood where they bevel. To me, they give the head a lot of character and style.

Last edited:
I have and like them both, no preference particularly. It's nice that the layers of wood shows in a slotted head, but knobs sticking out or down don't matter to me at all.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I assume a heavier headstock would increase sustain. That is the main function of the upper gourd on a sitar,to add weight. Whatever sound it produces is only heard by the player though you can get a really cool sound by recording with a mike inside it, built in reverb :)

As for slotted versus non I would tend to lean towards a slotted though I don't own any right now. It's a nice look.

John

For me, I guess I just like the look of a slotted headstock.

I assume that they were there in the first place to provide better support for the tuners, so didnt have to cantilever, which was probably an advantage if they couldnt make them with todays precision. I dunno. Does anybody have facts on this?

Anyway, of my ukes only my Anuenue Mahogany has a traditional slotted headstock. It looks good, but considering the extra weight it brings - I am not sure I consider it an advabtage. I dont think that I will necessarily persue these headstock on future ukes, all though it was part of what made me buy this one.

Last edited:
More difficult to restring is the primary downside to me.

I like the look—more consistent with other stringed instruments. Flat paddles to me look more like toys.

The tuners all tighten the strings in the same turning direction, and turning the pegs is more ergonomic, less awkward.

The break angle across the nut is increased—similar tonal advantages as at the saddle (though, as far as I can work out, this would only affect strings played open, and I don't see the sense of having them sound different from stopped strings—rather, that strikes me as a disadvantage).

The buttons point back, as with friction tuners, for a somewhat sleek look—at least, from the front. (I often hear people say they prefer friction tuners for this reason, ignoring that, to the player, friction tuner pegs actually "stick out" more than standard geared tuners. But maybe they're more concerned with the visual impression they make on others—or spend more time looking at their ukes than playing them.)

With a slotted headstock, an ornate logo or headstock design is unnecessary. I'm not a fan of the kind of glitz often added to paddle headstocks.

Tuners for slotted headstocks are usually joined by a plate, often embossed with a design reminiscent of filigree—dressy without lapsing into gaudy.

Slotted headstock tuners tend to be of good quality, and are always open-geared and adjustable (at least, I haven't yet encountered an exception). There's no way to adjust a sealed tuner or UPT, apart from tightening the button, if you can even do that. Of course, many open-geared standard tuners are adjustable, and it costs less to replace them, should the need arise.

If there is added weight (remember, the slots take away some mass that the thickness adds), the "imbalance" may not matter if you play routinely with a strap, as I do.

A heavier headstock is said to aid the sound in some way: resonance? tone? sustain? I forget.

A slotted headstock carries more cachet as far as general public perception, partly because you seldom see cheap ukes with them—they cost more to make.

I've seen some cool slot designs—more striking and stylish than varying the paddle shape. The beveled bottom of a slot also shows off a layered headstock more effectively.

This masterful response not only mirrors my reasons for appreciating slotted headstocks, it also gives me some new reasons as well. :D

My Tenor Guitar and my Eight String Uke both have slotted headstocks, and my Flea has a big rectangular hole in the headstock. I haven’t had any more than the usual problems stringing any of them.

I really like the look of the first two a lot. The big, rectangular hole and the ears sticking out — not so much. :eek:ld:

This
More difficult to restring is the primary downside to me.

I have one uke with a slotted headstock and I hate it, as soon as I get a chance I'm planning on trading it in for pretty much anything else (as long as it's got a flat headstock).

Slotted headstocks on guitars are fine, but IMO ukuleles are just too small, it makes string changes tediously fiddly.

I think for ukuleles they are mainly used in tenor size to emulate a "classic guitar" look, whereas for soprano and concert friction tuners (or geared look-alikes) provide a more instrument-appropriate design. I have a 12-fret 12-string guitar with a slotted headstock, and I prefer its tuner button access to the paddle headed guitars I own.

Tiple headstock.jpgRegal tiple headstock
Banduria headstock2.jpgBanduria heastock
Maggie's O18.jpgMaggie's Martin

I have no ukes with slotted headstocks, but do have three instruments in the house with slotted headstocks. I like the looks of these instruments, but re-stringing takes at least twice the time that my other instruments do. These instruments all have steel strings; perhaps nylon would be easier.

I've always liked them on guitars, but I think that they look clunky on ukuleles. Visually they also look heavy, I guess that is the same as clunky. Physically that in itself would not bother me, I'm strong enough that the weight wouldn't be an issue, but I have read here treads from people who are really put off by the weight of the headstock, so much so that they use light weight tuners. I would think that those folks would avoid a slotted headstock.

1. I like the looks of a slotted headstock, especially on the more guitar-like builds with a spruce or cedar top.

2. A slotted headstock makes changing strings easier for me (all tuners facing and turning in the same direction).

3. My impression is that a slotted headstock has a positive impact on the sound, if it has an impact at all.

I can see how a slotted headstock could be a bit too much on the smaller sizes and more traditional builds.

I have read that some slotted designs are more fragile than paddle headstocks. I have no evidence that is the case.

It's mostly aesthetics and what you are used to. Back in the 70s, for acoustic guitars, classical guitars with nylon & wound strings had a slotted headstock, while steel strung folk & jazz guitars were paddle. That seems to have changed a lot and is more what you like than functionality.

I don't find slotted headstocks any more difficult to string. Maybe a little longer to do so. The MyaMoe website has an interesting video about how he strung their ukes so the strings would absolutely not slip on the tuners.

Joel Souza, owner and builder of Kanilea ukuleles, mentioned that slotted headstocks sound better. Something about the break angle?

If you are a "change the string set" type, stay away from slotted headstocks -- much harder than conventional

I've always liked them on guitars, but I think that they look clunky on ukuleles. ....

I tend to agree with that, especially on smaller ukes. Perhaps on a larger uke they look better. For what ever reason, I also like ukes to look a little more distinct and not like little guitars.

Four of my Ukes and two of my guitars have slotted headstocks. There was a bit of a learning curve for restringing at first, but it quickly became just as easy as paddleheads for me. I love the look, as well as the added benefit of the better break angle at the nut.

Scooter

Joel Souza, owner and builder of Kanilea ukuleles, mentioned that slotted headstocks sound better. Something about the break angle?
Do you have some link to that discussion? I just wonder how he defines a better sound? Sound is pretty subjective. .

Top Bottom