Pono history

Lazy808

Reaction score
Hello! I recently bought a pono atsh-pc tenor ukulele. I actually really like it. I wanted to find out more about this specific model. It was made in 2012 from what I understand. Does anyone have specifics about this model? I know it’s acacia but binding or any other information? Also I was trying research about problems with the early pro classics. Mine does have a lack of sustain on the c string on the e and f notes. Is this common? The strings are pretty new. Thanks for the info!

Hi Lazy, and welcome to the forum. A picture of your specific uke would help answering your questions. Around 2012, the binding used by Pono was usually Rosewood (dark brown) or Koa (golden). Sometimes, they have used and still use Maple or Wi'awa awa (both white) for binding.

I have several tenors from Pono, one of them is all Acacia from 2012. None of them has the problems you mention, and I have never heard about such issues attributed to the Pro Classic line. Perhaps it would help to try different string sets? In my experience, Pono ukes really come alive with Fluorocarbon strings such as Worth, Oasis, or the new Aho set from Ko'olau. Try a wound vs. a non-wound string.

I put aquilas on there. They sounded good but they were very thick. I changed to worth Browns. I really like them

Yes, I have an early Koa Pono tenor (from about 2006/2007) and I really like Worth browns on it.

That is a nice one. Binding is either Rosewood (dark brown) or Ebony (black), I can't tell for sure from the pictures.

Worth Browns are a good choice for an all Acacia Pono. Do you still have the problem you mentioned with them? If so, try a wound third (and fourth) string, e.g. Thomastik Infeld.

That is a nice one. Binding is either Rosewood (dark brown) or Ebony (black), I can't tell for sure from the pictures.

Worth Browns are a good choice for an all Acacia Pono. Do you still have the problem you mentioned with them? If so, try a wound third (and fourth) string, e.g. Thomastik Infeld.

I agree with the TI bass strings. They give much better projection to a fairly quiet uke. Its what I have on my acacia pc tenor, and I've been pretty happy with that combo after years of struggle to get the sound to step up.

Yeah. I changed from Aquila’s. I really didn’t notice on the Aquila’s any dead notes (but I don’t thing I was paying attention) it’s just the the e, f and f sharp on the c string that lose sustain and have the harmonic overtime playing instead of a pure note. All the other strings sound great.

Living Waters and Martin Fluros work well.

Funny I switched out my DGBE Aquila strings on my Pono Baritone for Ko’olau DGBE and want to go back to the Aquilas because they are thinner, and easier to play. Tho the Aquilas don’t seem to have the gravitas of the thicker Ko’olau strings.

Hi all. I own a Pono AT (acacia) and put on Pro Logic fluorocarbon strings. I believe that Pro Logic strings are only available from The Ukulele Site, although I may be wrong. Regardless I really enjoy the sound; clear, crisp and musical.

Hi all. I own a Pono AT (acacia) and put on Pro Logic fluorocarbon strings. I believe that Pro Logic strings are only available from The Ukulele Site, although I may be wrong. Regardless I really enjoy the sound; clear, crisp and musical.
You can also get Pro Logic strings on Etsy. The shipping is a little cheaper if you buy them there.

What a beautiful uke.
I have a Pono acacia tenor with Oasis Warm high G and love the sound.

Sound samples of several string sets for the acacia tenor:

I have an older Pono AT-CR I bought used... It came with the thickest Worth clears, I think they are called heavy or something. After I wore those out, I put standard Aquilas on it. My Pono sounded horrible! Lots of dead sounding notes, and the high G sounded way louder than the rest of the strings. Then I put the thick clear Worths on again, and, it returned to sounding awesome.

I DO get why some people don't like these strings... they are very thick and take more effort to play with... they make your finger pads sore until you get used to them... and they are certainly better for picking than for strumming... but it's totally worth it.

I tried some of the thickest Loprinzi clear strings as well once, which were pretty nice also... but nothing I've put on gets the tone and balance as these heavy Worth clears do.

BTW: When buying Worth strings, you will probably look at the price and say something like "WHAT?!? $15 for a set of strings??? No #%&@! way!

OK- Take a deep breath! You get TWO sets for that price. Each string is as long as two normal length strings... Your extra set is always ready and waiting!

PS: Strings By Mail has a pretty good selection with OK prices... and they deliver FAST... but they do charge for shipping...

I have an older Pono AT-CR I bought used... It came with the thickest Worth clears, I think they are called heavy or something. After I wore those out, I put standard Aquilas on it. My Pono sounded horrible! Lots of dead sounding notes, and the high G sounded way louder than the rest of the strings. Then I put the thick clear Worths on again, and, it returned to sounding awesome.

I DO get why some people don't like these strings... they are very thick and take more effort to play with... they make your finger pads sore until you get used to them... and they are certainly better for picking than for strumming... but it's totally worth it.

I tried some of the thickest Loprinzi clear strings as well once, which were pretty nice also... but nothing I've put on gets the tone and balance as these heavy Worth clears do.

BTW: When buying Worth strings, you will probably look at the price and say something like "WHAT?!? $15 for a set of strings??? No #%&@! way!

OK- Take a deep breath! You get TWO sets for that price. Each string is as long as two normal length strings... Your extra set is always ready and waiting!

PS: Strings By Mail has a pretty good selection with OK prices... and they deliver FAST... but they do charge for shipping...
To be honest, I don't get why people think these strings are thick. They're not. Nylon string are thick, and I love them. These high tension fluorocarbon are slightly thicker than the standard ones, i.e., not much at all. I would kill for strings that had the gauge and tension of nylon strings but with the spark and volume of fluorocarbon strings, but alas...

To be honest, I don't get why people think these strings are thick. They're not. Nylon string are thick, and I love them. These high tension fluorocarbon are slightly thicker than the standard ones, i.e., not much at all. I would kill for strings that had the gauge and tension of nylon strings but with the spark and volume of fluorocarbon strings, but alas...
You might want to try Aquila Sugar strings. They are fat like Nylons, and sound like a marriage of Nylon and Fluorocarbon. At least to me.

I've been a pretty big fan of Oasis warms - although I didn't know about them when I had a Pono Tenor - maybe that would have helped me like that uke better. I know that Oasis warms make a huge difference on my Blackbird Clara, but sometimes you need the right strings for the right uke.

I put Pro Logic fluorocarbons on my Pono AT, and love the sound. To be honest, learning about and experimenting with strings is fun and interesting. Or it is fun and interesting until you try some strings that make your uke sound like cardboard!

Top Bottom