Wrist & thumb tendonitis

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I’ve started struggling with some De Quervain’s tendonitis (wrist & thumb tendonitis) in my left/ fretting hand. This is the first time I’ve had any hand issues with playing. It actually doesn’t hurt to play. Just some very mild discomfort with a few things. But there are hand movements during the day are painful. I looked online for some gentle stretches & exercises for De Quervain’s, and I’m backing off on practicing a bit. Wearing a wrist brace for sleep makes it hurt a lot more. I’m also trying to ice my wrist & thumb, but that hurts a lot.

Anyone experience this problem? What did you do for it? Not playing for an extended period of time would make me very sad.

First of all, I think you should (if you haven't already) go see a medical professional. De Quervain's can cause permanent damage. Obviously, you shouldn't pinch with that hand making fretting nearly impossible. In the meantime, you could practice using a slide (no pinching involved) or take this opportunity to learn to play left-handed.

Agreed. Go to the doctor. Self diagnosis or treatment is not wise in this case.

I’ve started struggling with some De Quervain’s tendonitis (wrist & thumb tendonitis) in my left/ fretting hand. This is the first time I’ve had any hand issues with playing. It actually doesn’t hurt to play. Just some very mild discomfort with a few things. But there are hand movements during the day are painful. I looked online for some gentle stretches & exercises for De Quervain’s, and I’m backing off on practicing a bit. Wearing a wrist brace for sleep makes it hurt a lot more. I’m also trying to ice my wrist & thumb, but that hurts a lot.

Anyone experience this problem? What did you do for it? Not playing for an extended period of time would make me very sad.

Sorry to hear you're having some pain. Hope you get some relief from it

I had De Quervain's in my other wrist a few years ago. I did the exercises, stretches, and wrist brace that time. Seems like it went away within a month, if I remember right. I have been practicing & playing a lot for the Christmas holiday, so maybe that was the problem. Are there any stretches that you guys do routinely to help with wrist/thumb/finger flexibility & strength?

I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I've read of piano players who soak the hands in warm wax to help with hand pain.

Of course, as others have said, check with a doctor.

That said, I've heard of people having success with using CBD oil topically. I haven't tried that myself, but have run across people who swear by it.

I personally find acupuncture helpful, but you might not have interest or access to that.

I have to be very picky about the neck on the ukulele. You said that you've been playing more lately, but you also have a new ukulele with a different neck.

I can't recall if you sold your other ukulele, but switching back to that neck for a while might be something to consider while you heal. Then in the future, maybe you can play both necks, but switch back and forth to prevent problems. Then again, maybe the neck has nothing to do with it.

Alexander Technique is something that musicians can find helpful, so maybe that's something to look into, too. Yet another thing I don't really know about, but I have run across people who have found it helpful.

I hope that you find relief from the discomfort.

Ibuprofen helps reduce inflammation as well as the pain. But it, like icing, is treating the symptom. Go see a professional. Physical therapy can loosen your hand and give you exercises to prevent tendonitis.

But none of that addresses the cause. Exercises to loosen joints and stretch the hands are good prevention. Everyone from Barry Maz to Ukulele Mike have variations on YouTube.

Hi.
Those priblems usually come from repeated movements, same as computers, playing instruments, repetitive hand jobs, etc.
Your most helpful treatment is rest, and take it seriously. The pain will go away slowly so take your time.
You can take painkillers if the pain is above tolerance. Something warm 3 times x day will ease the pain faster.
Your lesson for the future.... learn warm up excercises, then do whatever you re studying, and final stretches to finish your session.

Iorana korua

Hi.
Those priblems usually come from repeated movements, same as computers, playing instruments, repetitive hand jobs, etc.
Your most helpful treatment is rest, and take it seriously. The pain will go away slowly so take your time.
You can take painkillers if the pain is above tolerance. Something warm 3 times x day will ease the pain faster.
Your lesson for the future.... learn warm up excercises, then do whatever you re studying, and final stretches to finish your session.

Iorana korua

I’m
Of course, as others have said, check with a doctor.

That said, I've heard of people having success with using CBD oil topically. I haven't tried that myself, but have run across people who swear by it.

I personally find acupuncture helpful, but you might not have interest or access to that.

I have to be very picky about the neck on the ukulele. You said that you've been playing more lately, but you also have a new ukulele with a different neck.

I can't recall if you sold your other ukulele, but switching back to that neck for a while might be something to consider while you heal. Then in the future, maybe you can play both necks, but switch back and forth to prevent problems. Then again, maybe the neck has nothing to do with it.

Alexander Technique is something that musicians can find helpful, so maybe that's something to look into, too. Yet another thing I don't really know about, but I have run across people who have found it helpful.

I hope that you find relief from the discomfort.

I sold the ukulele that had a very thin neck (Loprinzi). The Loprinzi shared playing time with my other two ukes, a KoAloha & a Gary Gill. I replaced the Loprinzi with an aNueNue Moon Bird. All the ukes are concert scale, with 36mm nut size. The neck shapes & size are very similar, and the Moon Bird doesn’t feel markedly different. I haven’t noticed anything while playing it that felt weird. But, I have been playing it exclusively for about 2 months. In the past, I briefly had a uke with a more flat/ squared off neck shape that bugged my hand. I could tell very quickly that I didn’t like that neck shape.

I’ll back off on playing, and give the Moon Bird some time off.

Last edited:
Hi.

Iorana korua

I’ve followed a very similar approach with thumb and wrist pain. Had to cut back. Using an iPad mini was easier on my thumbs than a regular sized iPad. Better yet, I found was using desktop pc with a mouse, instead of tablet or phone.

From a uke-playing friend who has the same problem -

"Tell them to try Kinesio Tex Gold Tape for atheletes.

Using, holding a cell phone may also be irritating the tendons.

My doc wanted to do a cortisone injection. I said no. PT is often recommended, as is ice."

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...lias=aps&field-keywords=Kinesio+Tex+gold+tape

Thanks Jerry. I definitely notice the pain when holding my iPhone. Of note .....until last fall I was living in the stone age & using an ancient flip phone. I got my first smart phone (iPhone 7S) last fall. I do use it a lot for viewing the internet & emails. I don't text a lot.

I so suffer from osteoarthritis & other orthopedic maladies, so I already that a prescription NSAID. I will research some pre-practice and post-practice stretch routines.

My doctor's advice was "if it hurts don't do it!", and he was serious!

RSI, like arthritis, only gets worse. I have to work within my limitations and accept them, have done for years. I still manage to play most days, but not for as long as I used to and I wouldn't risk a public performance in case I had to stop suddenly in the middle, which happens.

It's trying to "play through it" that causes the long-term damage. The slightest twinge and I'll find something else to do ... even if it's simply putting the ukulele/banjo/mandolin/guitar down and picking up a whistle/flute/clarinet/recorder or vice-versa. A different set of muscle actions can allow the first symptoms to subside before they get too painful.

YMMV, obviously, but do take professional advice - good luck :music:

I sold the ukulele that had a very thin neck (Loprinzi). The Loprinzi shared playing time with my other two ukes, a KoAloha & a Gary Gill. I replaced the Loprinzi with an aNueNue Moon Bird.

That's what I was remembering. The Loprinzi neck vs. the Moon Bird Neck, which AFAIK are different necks. Can't speak from experience, but you can. :)

Some necks don't work for me at all. Some work well, but if I switch back and forth between ukuleles, even if the necks don't have big differences, that can help even more.
Just my experience, and maybe not useful for anyone else.

When my hands need a break, working on some other aspect of music, (trying to learn another instrument that doesn't involve fretting, ear training, working out arrangements, or simply enjoying listening to music, for example), can help fill in the gap left by not being able to play ukulele as much.

I hope that you find a good solution for your situation.

I’ve had left thumb pain for decades if I ply a lot of bar, or barre, chords on the guitar and also the ukulele. There is a technique (not sure if Alexander as the website meanders too much for me) where you use your arm/elbow to to squeeze the guitar/ukulele to pull the instrument body tight and this causes the neck to move away from your body. This pressure counteracts the fretting pressure so you don’t have to squeeze the neck as much. This thread is prompting me to see if so can incorporate some of this when I play a lot. I would think that and a strap that attaches to the headstock might help.

The other part of this is to figure out if the pain is being caused by something other than the ukulele; i.e. smartphone. It might be good to see a doctor to get a real diagnosis.

John

I saw my orthopedic/ sports medicine doctor today. He did exam & x-ray. Combo of tendonitis & arthritis. Cortisone injection & soft splint for my wrist. I asked about playing & he said as long as it doesn’t hurt I can play, but with moderation. Shorter practice, stretches to warm up, stop if it hurts, ice afterwards. Someone mentioned using a strap. I have straps on all my ukes, but I often will skip using them when I sit down for a quick practice. We all know how often “I’ll practice for a few minutes” turns into a hour as you get lost in the music. So I’ll remember the strap even while seated. Up to now, playing has not been painful and seems to loosen things up. However, some bar chords are a little bothersome. I’ll skip songs at my upcoming jam if they have lots of bar chords. After things settle down, I’ll pay more attention to wrist & thumb position, and pressure with bar chords.

I saw my orthopedic/ sports medicine doctor today. He did exam & x-ray. Combo of tendonitis & arthritis. Cortisone injection & soft splint for my wrist. I asked about playing & he said as long as it doesn’t hurt I can play, but with moderation. Shorter practice, stretches to warm up, stop if it hurts, ice afterwards. Someone mentioned using a strap. I have straps on all my ukes, but I often will skip using them when I sit down for a quick practice. We all know how often “I’ll practice for a few minutes” turns into a hour as you get lost in the music. So I’ll remember the strap even while seated. Up to now, playing has not been painful and seems to loosen things up. However, some bar chords are a little bothersome. I’ll skip songs at my upcoming jam if they have lots of bar chords. After things settle down, I’ll pay more attention to wrist & thumb position, and pressure with bar chords.

I'd definitely have someone look at your posture while playing, or post some videos here so people can comment. Do you play with your thumb on the back of the neck? or do you hold your uke with the "crotch" between thumb and first finger? I've been a PT for 40 years and I'd recommend seeing one for a couple of visits to look at things the doc may have missed (nothing against docs, but PT's tend to be more experienced with this kind of injury). Take your uke with you. Have them show you how to do an ice massage, and possibly a gentle friction massage on the tendon prior to icing. But the major question to ask yourself is "why". You can't change your arthritis, but is there a repetitive activity (uke or otherwise) that is contributing to the tendonitis? Ask yourself what makes the pain worse, and what makes it less. If your stomach tolerates it and it doesn't conflict with other medications, consider taking 400 mg of ibuprofin 3x/day for 2-3 weeks. This is NOT for pain, so take it regularly even if you are feeling better. This can break the inflammatory cycle. Good luck. Feel free to PM me with questions. Margie

Be very careful taking advice on an intenet forum on this complaint - it's very very deblitating and you should really speak to someone medically qualified.

Saying that as someone who had the very same, took bad advice and exacerbated it. I ended up facing surgery or having my hand in a splint permanently for 6 weeks. I went with the splint and it worked, but I don't want to repeat it.

The bad advice relates around things like stretches and exercise - ONLY do those if someone qualified has told you to do them as you can make it much worse.

Top Bottom