Pono MGTP questions before I potentially purchase

hollymichele

Reaction score
I think I'm going to purchase a Pono MGTP. From researching, sounds like I might want to go with Worth Clears. But I'd love to hear thoughts from those who have tried different strings on their Pono MGTP. As a side note, I get that strings are cheap and easy to try out different ones, but I'm a beginner so I'm not quite up to changing out strings yet. I'm just hoping I get it right the first time when I have it set up at purchase. :)

Also, has anyone had any trouble with the mango wood warping? I live in NC, so a more humid state - but I don't have any idea about the humidity in my house when the a/c and heat are running. So I'm a bit concerned about mango because I have read it has a tendency to warp or split. I enjoy keeping my (cheap) ukulele that I have now hanging on the wall and would like to continue to do the same with whatever I purchase (vs keeping it in a case).

If you are worried about the humidity, buy a cheap hygrometer off ebay and put it in the place you are going to store your uke. It won't necessarily give a totally accurate reading, but it will at least give you some idea. If it is less than 40% for long periods of time, you can buy a humidifier. I have a mango wood uke and I have not had any problem, but I don't know what the humidity will be like where you store it. Right now, my hygrometer is reading 45% in my case, and we are in the middle of a particularly dry period.

I have had no issues with warping on mine. As for strings, I have been happy with D’Addario EJ99T carbon strings on mine. I love the Savarez 150R as well, but they are a bit pricey.

Any quality solid wood ukulele should be kep in the case with a humidification device. Unless your room is a constant 45-55% humidity level which is highly doubtful

I think I'm going to purchase a Pono MGTP. From researching, sounds like I might want to go with Worth Clears. But I'd love to hear thoughts from those who have tried different strings on their Pono MGTP. As a side note, I get that strings are cheap and easy to try out different ones, but I'm a beginner so I'm not quite up to changing out strings yet. I'm just hoping I get it right the first time when I have it set up at purchase. :)

Also, has anyone had any trouble with the mango wood warping? I live in NC, so a more humid state - but I don't have any idea about the humidity in my house when the a/c and heat are running. So I'm a bit concerned about mango because I have read it has a tendency to warp or split. I enjoy keeping my (cheap) ukulele that I have now hanging on the wall and would like to continue to do the same with whatever I purchase (vs keeping it in a case).

The humidity level quoted by the weatherman on tv has little to do with the humidity inside your house.

As others have said, you need to measure the humidity inside, and for that you need a hygrometer.

Some folks put an "inside-the-case" humidifier and keep the uke there, and the water needs to be replenished at least every 5 days or so, and othe folks get a small "room humidifier' and put that in the room where their ukes are, and then keep the doors and windows of that room closed. The "room" humidifier also needs to be refilled at least once every 1-2 days depending upon it's output settings.

You would do well to search this forum for "humidity" and "humidifier", as this topic has been discussed ad nauseam in the past numerous times.

You will get better results using Google by putting

humidity site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com

into the search box

or

humidifier site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com

if you are not happy with the results given by the search function that is built in to the UU forum...

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Maybe I don't need a solid wood instrument after all then. Laminate probably suits my needs better. Thanks again!

Any quality solid wood ukulele should be kep in the case with a humidification device. Unless your room is a constant 45-55% humidity level which is highly doubtful

Why is that highly doubtful? My storage location is exactly that...

Top Bottom