Is this too old?

PihSant

Reaction score
So I've found a Koaloha tenor that I want in a store. It's a factory second so I know it's not perfect. The date on the inside is from 2004. My question is, is there a downside from buying a "new" uke that has been in the store for that long?

I don't think ukes have a "best before" date. But you might want to check it for cracks, separations, etc. And if it's been there that long, the owner may be open to negotiation on the price!

As a rule on solid wood 'ukuleles the older the wood the better the sound so 2004 can be a plus. What shape is the sound hole. There seems to be a collector value growing on the older round sound hole KoAlohas (as opposed to the newer musubi shape) so that can be a plus too. If the price is right it sounds like a win win situation to me.

I think it's new condition. It's a factory second because the piece of wood they used to make the neck is too short. I don't know how to explain it other than, the place where the neck meets the top of the body forms an "L" The bottom part of the "L" isn't flush with the back of the body. It's a little short. Does that make sense? Also, would this in any way affect it? I didn't think that it would, and it's a great deal. $675 for a brand new (4 year old) Koaloha Tenor. Should I get it?

That's a good price. Try it out and if you like the feel, playability and sound of the instrument, get it.

Yeah, what everyone else says. I've got a pair of Koaloha concerts from 2000. It's Ok. They don't spoil.

I'm not quite visualizing what the flaw is that you're talking about, but if it seems stable and not likely to cause the ukulele to completely collapse at some later date, I'd say go for it.

And I wasn't aware that the round hole ones were becoming "collectible". (I seem to remember KoaloahaPaul saying they changed that in 2001 or so.) I chose well perhaps.

I've seen pre-2007 KoAloha Tenors sell for $600-ish, the older models definitely are warn in and sound lovely

MGM was selling brand new KoAloha Tenors on his ebay store recently for 775$

also keep in mind the above comes with a lavish 90-100$ Ko'olau/Oahu case

Your call, either way you will not be disappointed

I've seen pre-2007 KoAloha Tenors sell for $600-ish, the older models definitely are warn in and sound lovely

MGM was selling brand new KoAloha Tenors on his ebay store recently for 775$

also keep in mind the above comes with a lavish 90-100$ Ko'olau/Oahu case

Your call, either way you will not be disappointed

can you scare up an extra 100 dollars??? if so.. i would go with MGM that price he has is a good one for new.. 16 fret.... wow! and a 100 dollar case!! yeah sell something and go with MGM.. you can trust that it has been kept in the right humidity.. just my advice..

i mean.. i did see the tenor at 975?? and if you were going to save.. 300 i might say yeah.. but for the 100 dollars.. MGM MGM MGM!

Unfortunately I think MGM's is sold. That's okay though, I'm going to go check out the factory in an hour or so. Then hit up the Aloha Stadium swap meet this weekend. I'll keep looking around. Mahalo

I think and I reiterate think that the tenor that MGM is selling is a factory second as well. I just remember contacting him once for a koaloha tenor he was selling for that same price and it was a factory second. THere is nothing wrong with a factory second. I plan on buying myself one in June while on Oahu.
I'm sure that the uke you found (2004) is fine. There shouldn't be any problems with it since it is there in Hawaii.

I think and I reiterate think that the tenor that MGM is selling is a factory second as well. I just remember contacting him once for a koaloha tenor he was selling for that same price and it was a factory second. THere is nothing wrong with a factory second. I plan on buying myself one in June while on Oahu.
I'm sure that the uke you found (2004) is fine. There shouldn't be any problems with it since it is there in Hawaii.

Dunno, I think the ones linked above that MGM had were not factory seconds, they were just unique 16 frets to the body at a special price, as opposed to the traditional 15 fret tenor.
THESE ARE BEING SOLD AND MARKED AT SPECIAL PRICE AS THESE ARE NOT THE USUAL 15 FRET TENORS BUT FACTORY SPECIAL 16 FRET TO BODY TENORS. This allows just a little more playing room up and down the neck but still have the same classic Koaloha tenor sound and have full Koaloha Warranty.

I would recommended contacting MGM if you want one, seeing if he has anymore, or can/will get more.

Honestly when I get a custom tenor from KoAloha I will request 16 frets to the body, as I think the frets on the 15 fret model are distanced apart more then enough

Top Bottom