Zaza uke

I saw this too. I wonder how much it was new.

I love the idea of a cedar soprano Martin 3 copy. Very cool modern take on the tradition. Was actually thinking about this uke, and then thought perhaps of having it done new.

For sale for 2 years? Wazzup? Overpriced, unknown, or both???

My guess would be that people are not aware of it. It is a beautiful instrument and sounds great in the clip. For something of that build quality it seems underpriced

Nice, but not nice enough for me to part with $800.

Interesting, as I am sure you have spent similar money on other instruments. What would cause it to cross that line into something you would buy?

FYI- I am not challenging your views. Everyone has different perspectives and I am curious what makes the cut for you.

Interesting, as I am sure you have spent similar money on other instruments. What would cause it to cross that line into something you would buy?

FYI- I am not challenging your views. Everyone has different perspectives and I am curious what makes the cut for you.

I don't see any justification for that price. I've bought Martins for about half that price. I'll pay for a uke that is different, special, unique, or an anniversary model. If it doesn't appeal to me, I don't care if it's free.

No problem. Everyone has different tastes and needs. I see some instruments out there that some love and desire that I would have no interest in. The Koala Sceptre fits in that category, which to me looks like something that belongs in the old Batman TV show. "Robin, get me the Batukulele"

The Zaza looks to be a nice build and that level of detail in a luthier made instrument would be costly. From the clip it certainly sounds good, although he could likely make a $100 instrument sound good. As they say, it is about the carpenter, not his tools.

Last edited:
No problem. Everyone has different tastes and needs. I see some instruments out there that some love and desire that I would have no interest in. The Koala Sceptre fits in that category, which to me looks like something that belongs in the old Batman TV show. "Robin, get me the Batukulele"

The Zaza looks to be a nice build and that level of detail in a luthier made instrument would be costly. From the clip it certainly sounds good, although he could likely make a 100 instrument sound good. As they say, it is about the carpenter, not his tools.

The first time I saw the Scepter, I was amazed! I thought it was a one-off. Now I have two of them: a regular production model and a prototype.

The first time I saw the Scepter, I was amazed! I thought it was a one-off. Now I have two of them: a regular production model and a prototype.

LOL, my point exactly.

The Zaza looks to be a nice build and that level of detail in a luthier made instrument would be costly. From the clip it certainly sounds good, although he could likely make a 100 instrument sound good. As they say, it is about the carpenter, not his tools.

I hace the same response to the Scepre--I find it shockingly unappealing. As you mentioned, this seems to be an instrument with craftspersonship that is super high end--I can't find enough information on the luthier and his and her rates (they seem to be a couple) to pull the trigger tough, but think I am going to have Brad Donaldson do something similar for me.

I hace the same response to the Scepre--I find it shockingly unappealing. As you mentioned, this seems to be an instrument with craftspersonship that is super high end--I can't find enough information on the luthier and his and her rates (they seem to be a couple) to pull the trigger tough, but think I am going to have Brad Donaldson do something similar for me.

I have heard good things about Brad's instruments. Years ago I was on his list for an instrument. I am not sure what happened. I think he may have taken some time off and that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Hi folks, Zaza here. I thought I'd give you a little background info on the uke. Two luthiers in my hometown in Belgium were doing ukulele building courses, which I did twice, building basically the prototypes for this signature uke. The luthiers suggested to do a Ukulelezaza signature ukulele (I'm a well known uke player in the European uke community), which I thought was a great idea. We decided on a limited run of five ukes: three cedar tops, two spruce tops. The initial idea was that I would help build, but I had only built two ukes in their course which were far from flawless. Since it was going to be a commercial product, we decided I wouldn't help building. The design remained the same. This one for sale on Reverb, by a good friend of mine, is the last one available. The workmanship on it is great, and the cedar top gives it a great vintage look (for those who don't know me: I love vintage ukes, especially Martin style 3, on which this model is obviously based). So there you go. I am sure you'd be pleased with this 100% handmade uke, using quality wood only (except for the saddle and nut).

I have heard good things about Brad's instruments. Years ago I was on his list for an instrument. I am not sure what happened. I think he may have taken some time off and that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

It seems that he had some family/personal health concerns at one point. He has been fantastic to work with, and I will receive my hog soprano in about ten days or so.

Hi folks, Zaza here. I thought I'd give you a little background info on the uke. Two luthiers in my hometown in Belgium were doing ukulele building courses, which I did twice, building basically the prototypes for this signature uke. The luthiers suggested to do a Ukulelezaza signature ukulele (I'm a well known uke player in the European uke community), which I thought was a great idea. We decided on a limited run of five ukes: three cedar tops, two spruce tops. The initial idea was that I would help build, but I had only built two ukes in their course which were far from flawless. Since it was going to be a commercial product, we decided I wouldn't help building. The design remained the same. This one for sale on Reverb, by a good friend of mine, is the last one available. The workmanship on it is great, and the cedar top gives it a great vintage look (for those who don't know me: I love vintage ukes, especially Martin style 3, on which this model is obviously based). So there you go. I am sure you'd be pleased with this 100% handmade uke, using quality wood only (except for the saddle and nut).

Thanks for more information. Can you say who specifically built this particular uke?

Reverb listing said "handcrafted by Luthier Sur Mesure in Ghent, Belgium..."

Looks like is is now sold on Reverb. Hope someone here snagged it!

Not relavent now that it is sold, but given that that the initial intent was a student/master collaboration, I would hoping to get clarification. It is also a husband/wife team, it seems. No matter---I love the concept and think use the inspiration, now that I sold four the mini heard. :eek:

FWIW- the seller pulled it to do a small repair due to the dryness of the climate. It may end up relisted later

Top Bottom