Ukulele book with Hawaiian music

Katzuke

Reaction score
Are there any published Ukulele books that exclusively have Hawaiian music in them instead of classics and pop?
I am interested in learning traditional Hawaiian music for the ukulele.
I have learned Pua Lililehua, Sanoe, Aloha Oe, and White Sands of Hawaii so far.
Thanks in advance for any leads or advice.

Many thanks! I will look into this.
The book most used by the Hawaiian ukulele groups is “He Mele Aloha, a Hawaiian songbook” compiled by Carol Wilcox.
Bradford

The book most used by the Hawaiian ukulele groups is “He Mele Aloha, a Hawaiian songbook” compiled by Carol Wilcox.
Bradford

That's good to know. I bought this book last year on the Big Island and my uke goal for this year is to learn a few of the songs. I don't know them, but most of them have examples on youtube.

A second recommendation for He Mele Aloha: great collection, but be aware that it only provides lyrics and chords, no melody scores. You can find recordings for virtually all of the songs on YouTube.

For old Hawaiian music, check out King's Hawaiian Melodies:
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/kings-hawaiian-melodies/
I believe this can be downloaded for free from some other sites, but I'm not sure where. It's also included in the vintage uke music collection that you can order from Ian Chadwick. The chord labeling in the book is odd (I'm not sure all editions or pieces in the collection include chords), but most chord shapes should be familiar from the grid diagrams.

Wow this is fantastic. Thank you so much.

Top Bottom