Mahogany concert owners. Your favorite strings?

Astein2006

Reaction score
I’m having a 12 fret all Mahogany concert built. Looking for string choices. If you own an all mahogany concert what has been your favorite string choice?
I know sound and feel are subjective.

Good question. I also have a build in progress and when I asked the luthier he said he was considering Aquila Lava strings. I have Aquila Super Nylgut on my mahogany tenor, and d'Addario fluorocarbon on my koa concert, and I like both ... so I though I just go with what the luthier thinks is best. But obviously open to suggestions here.

I'll be surprised if there is a brand not mentioned here. :)

I'd have top check, but I'm sure that most of my mahoganies came with D'Addario strings. I like the Martin fluorocarbon, and I've put them on a uke or two. I don't change strings just to see how they sound. I keep a supply on hand, and I have several different brands.

I've settled on Martin M600 strings for my Eastman all solid mahogany concert.

I have worth browns on mine at the moment which I think suit it well. Interested to get other string suggestions though!

I’ve heard this suggestion before. What is it you like about the Worth browns? Typically I don’t like fluorocarbons. They are too bright and feel thin under my fingers.

Good question. I also have a build in progress and when I asked the luthier he said he was considering Aquila Lava strings. I have Aquila Super Nylgut on my mahogany tenor, and d'Addario fluorocarbon on my koa concert, and I like both ... so I though I just go with what the luthier thinks is best. But obviously open to suggestions here.

Is your build an all mahogany?

I’ve heard this suggestion before. What is it you like about the Worth browns? Typically I don’t like fluorocarbons. They are too bright and feel thin under my fingers.

They were the ones the luthier put on them and they sound right. Bright and clear and crisp with good volume and sustain.
The sound reminds me of water.
I think I'm partial to thinner strings too

Jeepers, I've got three solid hog concerts and each has different strings on it. One has super nylguts, one has Martins, the other has black strings... dunno what they are but they came with the uke when I bought it second hand. I'm quite happy with each choice.

Worth Browns, but then sound is subjective........

Jeepers, I've got three solid hog concerts and each has different strings on it. One has super nylguts, one has Martins, the other has black strings... dunno what they are but they came with the uke when I bought it second hand. I'm quite happy with each choice.

What order from brightest to mellow would you say the strings are? I lean more towards mellow than bright as far as preference.

Due to the advice of MMStan, I use Oasis mediums. I really like them on my solid mahog Kala concert.

If you don't like the tension and brightness of fluorocarbons, you might consider the Martin Premiums (made by Aquila). They have a cleaner sound than the Nylgut variations but have about the same tension. I have them on a laminate Makala and really like them, but could easily see them on a very bright hog. (I tend to prefer fluorocarbons, personally.)

Someone already recommended Martins, I second that, but Living Water probably would work for a slightly mellower and softer feel.

If you don't like the tension and brightness of fluorocarbons, you might consider the Martin Premiums (made by Aquila). They have a cleaner sound than the Nylgut variations but have about the same tension. I have them on a laminate Makala and really like them, but could easily see them on a very bright hog. (I tend to prefer fluorocarbons, personally.)

I second the newer Martin Premium "Polygut" strings (by Aquila).
I prefer a mellower sound with low tension also, I've liked them on everything I've played them on.

I have a Kiwaya mahogany concert that came with Worth Browns. They are my favorite strings, a little less bright than the clears but very clear with good sustain.

I second the newer Martin Premium "Polygut" strings (by Aquila).
I prefer a mellower sound with low tension also, I've liked them on everything I've played them on.

P.S. Worth Browns would be my second recommendation. They also sound good on everything I've heard them on.

For me - Fremont Blacks or Worth Browns. Crisp and bright or soft and mellow. Give ‘em both a try and decide for yourself!

I use Living Water concert scale low G on all my solid mahogany ukes, both of my Ohana long neck sopranos (concert scale & tenor scale), & my long neck concert (tenor scale) Ohana.

Top Bottom