Finally a Pineapple from Kanilea

Rakelele

Reaction score
$350!?! Sign me up! Oh. Wait.

:p

Kanilea has now posted a video of their new pineapple tenor model:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsRw0U7H_tS/

In addition to the pineapple body shape, it has the pineapple "K" logo and a pineapple shaped side sound port.

Thanks for the link. Beautiful instrument and the pineapple shaped cut out for the side sound port is sic!!!

I posted over on the "How your uke found you" thread, how I bought the prototype of this Platinum Limited Edition pineapple right off the shelf in the finishing room during the 1st Kanile'a Factory Tour of 2019. It was literately put right into my hands! Can't put it down, my other ukes are getting jealous! The sound is amazing, big, full but still very clean and tons of volume! Even the custom fitted case is amazing. It's the 1st tenor pineapple from any of the Big K builders I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_6326.jpg
    IMG_6326.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Why did I resolve "no new uke orders in 2019"!!!!
Any how..
Lovely piece from Kanilea. I have not played many Kanileas but sound amazing

The only other Hawaiian K brand that has built a pineapple tenor in the past is Ko'olau:

I'm not disagreeing. And I wonder how you'd classify the Pineapple Sunday on HMS right now. Does the funny shape make it not a pineapple because it's more of a semi-custom / not even close to the original Kamaka pineapple? I just want to learn the vocabulary so I make less of a fool of myself if I ever meet another ukulele player in person at a meetup.

Thanks for the video and the help!

Hopefully, Kanile'a will make a less adorned pineapple tenor model closer to their standard K-1 price level. But that probably wouldn't happen for a while, since they just introduced the pineapple tenor as a premium model.

Excuse a very stupid question, but I've wondered about this with other sized ukuleles too, so here goes:
What is the advantage of a pineapple model? Louder? Better sound? Just a cool design?

I wonder how you'd classify the Pineapple Sunday on HMS right now. Does the funny shape make it not a pineapple because it's more of a semi-custom / not even close to the original Kamaka pineapple?

Oh yes, I forgot about the Pineapple Sunday from KoAloha! As always, they have their very own take on things. With the relatively small soundbox, I'd look at this model more like a long neck concert, but defined by scale length, it's clearly a tenor.

Other brands that have a pineapple tenor in their lineup are Pono (import line from Ko'olau) and Romero Creations' Tiny Tenor, which has a triangular shape that is somewhat similar to the pineapple shape.

Excuse a very stupid question, but I've wondered about this with other sized ukuleles too, so here goes:
What is the advantage of a pineapple model? Louder? Better sound? Just a cool design?

Not a stupid question at all. My own take on this with a classic pineapple soprano from Kamaka is that the shape adds some punch (shooting notes quickly out of the soundbox), but might take away some clarity or definition. My Romero Creations XS Soprano, on the other hand, has more sustain and less punch than other sopranos, more like a quiet tenor. Lastly, with the Pono Mango Pineapple Tenor I had, I didn't hear much difference to other tenors that are made of similar woods. I guess the shape may have an influence on sound, but other factors come into play just as much (type of wood, bracing, thickness of the top, etc.).

Looking forward to hearing sound samples of this new Kanilea Pineapple Tenor. Hopefully, some new owners will join in and share their thoughts about it.

Argh!! I have visions of pineapple dancing in my head!

But I don't need another uke, I don't need another uke, I don't need another uke...

Maybe just one? Argh!!

I posted over on the "How your uke found you" thread, how I bought the prototype of this Platinum Limited Edition pineapple right off the shelf in the finishing room during the 1st Kanile'a Factory Tour of 2019. It was literately put right into my hands! Can't put it down, my other ukes are getting jealous! The sound is amazing, big, full but still very clean and tons of volume! Even the custom fitted case is amazing. It's the 1st tenor pineapple from any of the Big K builders I believe.

Congrats on the new uke! It's always special to buy the first of anything. :)

Hello
I had been pining for the Kanile'a Pineapple but maybe l just wait a go for the Koolau Tenor?
Much to ponder :)

Hello
I had been pining for the Kanile'a Pineapple but maybe l just wait a go for the Koolau Tenor?
Much to ponder :)

Both are infrequent visitors to the HMS site. BUT both are there now! Unsure how many more Pineapples will be made... contact them and they may have an answer or help you in your decision.

I've heard Rick play it, too. Amazing uke.

Top Bottom