High quality friction tuners for a soprano???

Astein2006

Reaction score
Hi all. I want to replace the friction tuners I have on my Ohana Sopranino with better quality ones. Can anyone suggest some high quality friction tuners? Preferably with brand and model so I can google.
Thanks!!!

There are some really nice Schaller friction tuners - or maybe a set of Koaloha which are really great and have been removed to make way for Gotoh upt.

If you want to look at them the Gotoh upt tuners are amazing. I upgrade to them and have them on three soprano instruments.

I have some Schallers and Koaloha friction tuners somewhere but cannot for the life of me find them!
Ian

There are some really nice Schaller friction tuners - or maybe a set of Koaloha which are really great and have been removed to make way for Gotoh upt.

If you want to look at them the Gotoh upt tuners are amazing. I upgrade to them and have them on three soprano instruments.

I have some Schallers and Koaloha friction tuners somewhere but cannot for the life of me find them!
Ian

Hi all. I want to replace the friction tuners I have on my Ohana Sopranino with better quality ones. Can anyone suggest some high quality friction tuners? Preferably with brand and model so I can google.
Thanks!!!

I replaced the stock tuners on my Ohana Sopranino with Grover 6s. (About $18 from Sweetwater.) The tuners that came on the sopranino were so sticky, even after multiple adjustments; and I didn't like the giant size of the buttons. I watched the GotAUkulele videos about friction pegs before deciding on these. I really wanted to try the Waverly friction pegs, (partly because of the small buttons) but I think that would have required reaming the peg holes a lot more than I was willing to do. I only had to ream the holes a tiny bit to fit the Grover 6s.

It was my first time doing such a project, and I wanted to be cautious and cost-conscious. The 6s work better but they're not awesome. The buttons are still too big for my liking; and they do feel heavier that the originals. I'm curious about Pegheds. I love the vintage look and the super light weight of "violin-style" pegs. But I can't justify the expense, and worry about my ability (or inability) to do whatever might be needed to make them fit.

I got my hands on a set of KoAloha friction tuners and put them on my laminate-acacia Islander. They're terrific! I don't think I'd put those on a sopranino, because the buttons are pretty large.

I'll admit that I am fussy about aesthetics, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Please share whatever you end up doing.

Grover 4's, Grover 6's or Gotoh UPTs. All I ever use.

Top Bottom