2019 NAMM thread

I'm going on Sunday. With my walking limitations, I'll ride my Immotor stand-up mobility scooter, gets me through the show in no time.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Is it open to the public?

Is it open to the public?

No, not open to the public. You have to be a member of NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) as a retailer, wholesaler, manufacturer, distributor, buyer, etc. My younger brother manufactures audio accessories so he's a member and lists me as a guest of his, which is also limited. My friend who founded and conducts the LA Lawyers Philharmonic/Big Band of Barristers/Legal Voices Chorus (for which I'm the staff photographer) gets in because of his position.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

Someone told me it’s open to the public on Sunday??

I will be going on Thursday, as a guest of a guitar manufacturer. It's going to be great fun!

In the past, the Summer NAMM show held in June in Nashville has opened the show to the public for one day. But I am not sure if it is done each year. You'll have to check their website as summer approaches if it will be open this year.

Luke

No, that's not correct. I always go on Sunday and they check your registration ID at every door. Non-members can apply for entry, but must meet certain requirements. This is what is on the NAMM web site:

"The NAMM Show is open to all members as well as professionals and buyers from non-member companies seeking products, solutions and services in music, sound and event technology. We will determine if you are eligible for registration. Representatives from organizations that do not qualify for NAMM membership may register for a general attendee badge to attend The 2019 NAMM Show.

General attendee registration is available to pro audio professionals and buyers representing non-member companies, venues and houses of worship, as well as music educators and music majors. Must be 18 or over to attend The NAMM Show. General attendee badges cost between $35 and $150, depending on qualified role within the industry. Please note: ALL registration purchases are non-refundable and non-transferable."

mike:

Please re-read my post carefully. I said that in the past the Summer NAMM show has been opened to the public. I was not referring to the Winter NAMM show.

I should have specified the winter NAMM show, but below is what I just read on the NAMM site, note that they say "shows" in two places.

"How do I attend NAMM's trade shows and is the show open to the public?

Attendance at NAMM trade shows is restricted to owners, suppliers, employees, endorsed artists and guests of NAMM member companies. NAMM's membership is comprised of companies that make, buy and/or sell musical instruments and products. If your company meets this requirement, you can apply for membership."

The outside area is not restricted, there's a large stage area with performances and food trucks in abundance, but there are restrictions to get into the halls. I just don't want people to get their hopes up when it's so clear that it's not open to the public. I've seen this question asked for years and the answer is always the same, but there seems to be a lot of hearsay. If anyone has actually attended without registering, please speak up.

Last edited:
Anyone know if anyone cool is going to perform on Saturday? Last year there was a great performance at the Kamaka booth. Years ago I saw Kamaka's first appearance at NAMM with Jake performing. That was awesome. Actually, the year before that, I saw Jake roaming around the Flea Market booth as just a regular dude, pre-Central Park video.

Last edited:
Thanks for the list Mike! I had to click on schedule once I got to the site. But WOW. I just looked at Friday. They schedule is seriously crazy. I think I saw 24 concerts/booth events just at 2pm on Friday and there's at least 30 educational opportunities at the same time. It's like that all day Friday until midnight, where there's three bands set to play at the three central hotels. Hilton, Marriott and the Sheraton. I don't know if I'll be ready for Digital Lizards of Doom at midnight on Friday. ;)

Those who are lucky enough to go, please post some pictures here so we all get to see what's new and hot, nice or weird coming to the Ukulele market.

Thanks for the list Mike! I had to click on schedule once I got to the site.

Oops, I had an extra m on the link, it's fixed now.

Here's the link to the event schedule.

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2019/events/schedule

this is notable:

SUN
1:00 PM

1 Hour

NAMM Special Event
Ukulele Circle

Add the uke to your musical repertoire! Unleash your Island Spirit at our ukulele circle, where you’ll learn the basics of the instrument known as the “jumping flea.” No experience required. We provide the ukes, you provide the smiles and learn how to create a uke community. Facilitated by Ukulenny. Presented by NAMM in collaboration with Kala Brand Music.

Top Bottom