Ukulele History

Witters

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I know that the Ukulele was adopted from an instrument that was played by the Portuguese many moons ago - or so the story goes, but do the Portuguese still make them?

And if they do are they any good?

It was also called a "machete" - pronounced "mah-shet". There was a lot about the history of the ukulele on John King's old website, Nalu Music. I don't know if that site is still running since he passed away. I am not sure if the cavaquinho is exactly the same, or just very similar. Both are small 4 string, gut-strung instruments in the same family. Another similar instument is called a "quatro" - I think it might be a little bigger, in the same size range as a baritone uke.

Hi Folks,

I know that the Ukulele was adopted from an instrument that was played by the Portuguese many moons ago - or so the story goes, but do the Portuguese still make them?

And if they do are they any good?

The "braguinha" is considered by most "ukulele historians" as being the instrument that became the "ukulele". The Portuguese still make ukes... "Cordoba" is the first name that comes to mind, but I am sure there are a few more.

That Cavaquinho looks interesting - a sort of Concert Uke with different tuning, although on youtube the noise that the players play is, well, terrible lol.

Is the Cordoba similar or more Uke like?

The ukulele is not a direct descendant of any particular instrument; rather it is a hybrid, most likely of the four-stringed machete (sometimes called a machete de Braga after the city and district in northern Portugal where the instrument originated) and the five-string rajão - or (depnding on who you read) possibly a braguinha (a nickname for a cavaquinho).

But yes, these and similar small-scale guitars are still made in Spain, Portugal, Mexico, Brazil and and other Latin countries. Most are steel-stringed, not nylon.

Top Bottom