Soprano specs

Ukecaster

Reaction score
With all the talk of nut widths vs string spread on the other thread, I just wanted to post some soprano specs I've measured on ukes I've owned so far in my uke journey. All shown in mm.

The Famous uke was the roomiest of the bunch, the Kala the least roomy. The Kamaka had very large string spread at the saddle. Funny, I'm finding that the older I get, the more room I need!

Soprano specs.JPG

Last edited:
cool! Thanks for posting this.

Hi, Ukecaster! Thanks for posting this. It is actually very interesting to me.

I have made many nuts on my acoustic guitars and Electric guitar (Les Paul). Their string space is 7mm x5 (See the photo below). My local guitar tech said to me 7mm or 8mm but I have never made 8mm.

In your result, Kamaka looks 9mmx3 and Martin looks 10mmx3. Kamaka is 35mm nut and Martin is 36mm nut. Martin has reduced side margins and got inside string space. They both are long established leading makes. On the other hand, Kiwaya (Famous) makes very different and good ukulele. It reminds me 70s Japanese guitar makes like Yamaha, Ibanez and so on. Kala has 10mmx3 on narrow 35mm nut. I have once had a trouble with side margin on my fret board. We have trimmed edge of the fret wire (See photo B below). When there are not enough margin out side the outer strings, they trapped in the trimmed edge. I know there are enough margin on Kala though.

I like Kiwaya best in your list. Because wide neck brings me better grip and playability to me.

soprano specs.jpg

Great idea Ukecaster,
Here some soprano specs from ukes I've came across so far. All shown in mm.
I LOVE fingerpicking when there is lots of space! :love:

Top Bottom