Kamaka Gold label friction tuner question

fopianki

Reaction score
Hi folks, I suspect there are resources out there that I am not aware of...I own a kamaka gold label soprano that, other than a stable crack on the back, is in beautiful condition. I picked it up in an estate sale from Maine...apparently it had been stashed in a closet for decades. Anyway, I have had it in to our local Kamaka dealer and they are very impressed with the condition, sound, intonation and beautiful tone. The only issue I have other than the back crack is that the original friction tuners don’t stay in tune as well as I would like and the Kamaka dealer does not currently have a tech who could work on it. I am hoping to learn more about adjusting these tuners. If I tighten the screws it seems to just be a balance between being too loose which causes the tuning to go out as the strings slacken versus tightening too much which make it difficult to tune. I have read people talk about replacing washers to the original tuners or replacing the tuners which can cause some work to modify for the new tuner diameters. Does anyone know of videos or other resources that can show me how to work on these tuners or what would be a good friction tuner replacement. Since I don’t have anyone within my area of central Indiana who works on Kamakas my only other option would be to wait until my wife and I visit Oahu in May and take it to Kamaka. Thanks, Frank

I had one of those, with same issues. Since the tuner post holes are tiny, almost any replacements will require modding, by opening the holes. I'd recommend finding some thin washers first. These will allow smoother operation. The big potential problem with their old friction tuners is crumbling tuner buttons, they get brittle with age. 1 of mine failed, I had to scour the internet for a vintage one. Kamaka may have replacements for sale. I'd contact them, if the washers don't work. Also, if you crank the screws all the way down, and still get slippage, some have said that cutting off the ends of the screws a bit may help.

Here's a thread on the subject: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?130952-Washers-for-old-friction-tuners

Last edited:
I actually love friction tuners. (I know.)

I find that most problems are because they are too loose. They need to be very tight. I like to get mine to the point that they don't turn smooth, but instead release a little every time I turn/rotate them. I picture a little click or squeak with each movement. But this is with settled strings and tiny tuning changes. It's hard to turn the knob a half or whole turn when it's tight and I put on new strings.

If that doesn't fix the problem, take a look at the point where the (probably Bakelite) tuning knob touches the back of the head/wood. The tuners on my gold label pineapple are pointed down into the wood. If yours do too, I don't think a washer would help. But how about the stuff they use on violin pegs? I just found this stuff online.

The ORIGINAL Ardsley Peg Drops, not an imitation!
Cures slipping and squeaking pegs
One drop application
Peg removal is not necessary
1/2 oz plastic bottle

Might help. But, I'd prob take the tuners apart and see what the wood looks like under the knob before I used something like that.
Good luck! :)

Agreed, tightness is needed. But when that tight, you need to apply a lot of pressure to turn, that's what led to my old brittle buttons finally crumbling. Mine had flat bottoms on the buttons, no divot, so if yours is the same, the washers may help smooth things out a bit.

Top Bottom