PDA

View Full Version : Baritone Banjo Ukulele



BashfulPuppet
01-16-2019, 10:47 AM
For the past few years I been wanting a baritone banjo ukulele but have found the few out there to be either to expensive or not really what I as looking for.

Basically what I wanted was a tenor banjo with a ukulele scale and width neck.

So, I decided to buy an inexpensive tenor banjo and then make a new neck for it.

The tenor banjo was a Recording King Dirty 30s which provided the rim, head, and all the hardware. It cost $140. The neck I built out of spanish cedar and granadilo and it cost about $100 after the additional purchase of nut, frets, tuners, and hanger bolts. So for less than $300.00 I now have a Baritone Ukulele that's like Ive been wanting.

Below are some pictures of the completed uke.

114829114830114831114832

orangeena
01-16-2019, 11:48 AM
that is a lovely thing Jon

DPO
01-16-2019, 12:01 PM
For the past few years I been wanting a baritone banjo ukulele but have found the few out there to be either to expensive or not really what I as looking for.

Basically what I wanted was a tenor banjo with a ukulele scale and width neck.

So, I decided to buy an inexpensive tenor banjo and then make a new neck for it.

The tenor banjo was a Recording King Dirty 30s which provided the rim, head, and all the hardware. It cost $140. The neck I built out of spanish cedar and granadilo and it cost about $100 after the additional purchase of nut, frets, tuners, and hanger bolts. So for less than $300.00 I now have a Baritone Ukulele that's like Ive been wanting.

Below are some pictures of the completed uke.

114829114830114831114832

Nicely done.

jcalkin
01-20-2019, 05:25 AM
You do good work. I love the fret markers.

BashfulPuppet
01-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Thank you, John. I don’t mind saying that there was a lot of stress leading up to some parts of the neck build. I’d never built a neck before and cutting the scarf joint was a real knuckle biter for me.

The fret markers were a move to reduce the amount tools I needed to buy. Standard drill bits work fine if you’re drilling all the way through. I also thought it was clever to get the marker visible on both the side and the top. Not my idea but still clever.

I wish I’d designed the head stock to let be get the slots closer to the nut. It would have made it easier to make the ramps so that the strings wouldn’t touch them. Just an asthetic thing.

Jim Yates
01-20-2019, 12:19 PM
It is a very pretty headstock Bashful.