Go-bar workbench

jupiteruke

Reaction score
I am building out a new shop here at my winter quarters in Florida, and I do not have much shop space here, so using space for a go-bar deck was a little problematic. I remembered seeing on some some video some place (I do not remember where) a luthier who had made long spring-loaded rods that fit between his workbench and the ceiling, and this was his go-bar setup. Takes up no additional space, and the set of rods stacked neatly in a corner. So, that is what I did. Ordered a bunch of long compression springs that just fit inside 1/2″ CPVC pipe, got some 7/16″ dowels which also just slip fit inside the pipe, used a few cross-bolts to hold things in place, and made some tapered wooden tips, and there you go. They seem to work great, and the whole end of my workbench is now a go-bar deck.

(What you can not quite see is that I also mounted a router under the end of the bench-top so this end is also a router table.)

Attachments

• IMG_20190116_091109.jpg
    IMG_20190116_091109.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 96
my winter quarters in Florida
Presumably not a full-time luthier? :)

I use a similar system with spring-loaded rods. No concerns with rods detaching and springing across the room.
Miguel

I think If i did something like that I would put some shelving or a cabinet up there to have more storage and not have such long rods.

Top Bottom