WTB Pono Pro Classic Slotted Headstock Macassar Ebony/Cedar or Spruce - UK

Great instrument. Sound is very nice. Looks as though you found a fine example, but got an excellent deal as well.

Congratulations & enjoy!

Wow, great deal, congratulations! How do you like it?

I love mine, although interestingly enough, it was not the Pono I originally was looking for. I was actively looking for a spruce top / rosewood tenor at the time, and somone on UU contacted me asking if I was interested in a Cedar/Macassar tenor, and I took a chance on it. It is absolutely lovely, warm and rich, and if it weren't for the super thick neck (which is a little much for my small hands), it would hands down be my favorite uke to play. Despite the hefty neck, I can't imagine I would ever give it up. Last week I came across a used Pono Spruce/Rosewood concert near my home, and snapped it up. It has a lovely sound, but i think the cedar/macassaser has a richer sound, but maybe that is because it is a tenor and the spruce/rosewood is a concert.

I love mine, although interestingly enough, it was not the Pono I originally was looking for. I was actively looking for a spruce top / rosewood tenor at the time, and somone on UU contacted me asking if I was interested in a Cedar/Macassar tenor, and I took a chance on it. It is absolutely lovely, warm and rich, and if it weren't for the super thick neck (which is a little much for my small hands), it would hands down be my favorite uke to play. Despite the hefty neck, I can't imagine I would ever give it up. Last week I came across a used Pono Spruce/Rosewood concert near my home, and snapped it up. It has a lovely sound, but i think the cedar/macassaser has a richer sound, but maybe that is because it is a tenor and the spruce/rosewood is a concert.

You can always get the neck altered, either by a luthier or a cabinet maker to make it less deep.

I have to admit I much prefer the neck profile of my KoAloha, so I might just have mine done.

You have more than one?

We were lucky enough to get a couple in new but they’ve both just gone. You’re right they don’t come up second hand much though. I love them - cedar tops are my fave woods on Pono. I really like the cedar top with acacia back and sides too.
I really like the chunky neck but that might just be the ex-guitarist in me (though I haven’t picked up a guitar in about a decade :D )

We were lucky enough to get a couple in new but they’ve both just gone. You’re right they don’t come up second hand much though. I love them - cedar tops are my fave woods on Pono. I really like the cedar top with acacia back and sides too.
I really like the chunky neck but that might just be the ex-guitarist in me (though I haven’t picked up a guitar in about a decade :D )

Have you not got one listed on eBay Matt?

You can always get the neck altered, either by a luthier or a cabinet maker to make it less deep.

I have to admit I much prefer the neck profile of my KoAloha, so I might just have mine done.

Hmmm. I hadn't even considered that given the truss rod in the neck of Ponos. That is something worth thinking about. Anyone ever had that done to a pono?

I had both a Pono ETSH-PCC Ebony/Cedar Slothead and a Pono RTC(S)-PC Rosewood/Spruce Cutaway Paddle Head tenors.

The slothead has a slightly thicker neck up to the nut.

The Rosewood/Spruce is one of my all-time favorite ukes. The clarity of the notes and chime and sustain are excellent.

The ebony/cedar is very warm and mellow. But a tad "mushy". However it was made in 2013 while the Rosewood/Spruce was made in 2017.

I made sure of getting a cedar top on my Pono MTSH-C-MS Mahogany tenor. The mahogany/spruce was just too bright and harsh for my taste. The cedar is just right for me. Though it's not as loud as the spruce-topped version.

I had both a Pono ETSH-PCC Ebony/Cedar Slothead and a Pono RTC(S)-PC Rosewood/Spruce Cutaway Paddle Head tenors.

The slothead has a slightly thicker neck up to the nut.

The Rosewood/Spruce is one of my all-time favorite ukes. The clarity of the notes and chime and sustain are excellent.

The ebony/cedar is very warm and mellow. But a tad "mushy". However it was made in 2013 while the Rosewood/Spruce was made in 2017.

I made sure of getting a cedar top on my Pono MTSH-C-MS Mahogany tenor. The mahogany/spruce was just too bright and harsh for my taste. The cedar is just right for me. Though it's not as loud as the spruce-topped version.

I've got a bespoke made Macassar ebony/torrefied spruce top already.

Almost a copy of the Pono, but I don't believe the sound quality is up to that of the Pono.

Top Bottom