PDA

View Full Version : GraphTech Ukulele Tuners

Snargle
01-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Just came across this video and was wondering if anyone has seen these or even had a chance to try them out? Interesting looking, but I'm a little concerned about the durability, particularly since they don't seem to be made of metal.

https://youtu.be/Z91m6fJbSZY

bellgamin
01-18-2019, 10:56 AM
They look to be plastic. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Some plastics can be just about as hard as steel. They shatter more easily than steel but that isn't a significant factor unless someone bangs on them with a hammer. Thanks for bringing these to attention. I will be watching to buy a set at first opportunity. I'm a sucker for gadgets.

EDW
01-18-2019, 11:21 AM
There was a discussion here about these sometime back.

bellgamin
01-18-2019, 11:31 AM
There was a discussion here about these sometime back.Did a search. Couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

CommonCurt
01-18-2019, 11:32 AM
I just saw these also, and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with them.

Are they really plastic?

EDW
01-18-2019, 12:32 PM
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?136161-Plastic-Tuners

Snargle
01-18-2019, 01:57 PM
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?136161-Plastic-Tuners

Thanks for the link. I also searched and didn't find the old thread.

BuzzBD
01-18-2019, 03:42 PM
I do not think they have hit the market yet, but I will give them a try as soon as I can.

Kenn2018
01-18-2019, 06:02 PM
There's an ad for them in the latest issue of "Ukulele Magazine."

M3Ukulele
01-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Thanks for link and video. I will try them. I have no objection to polymers is they work, are smooth and strong. I’m guessing these will show up on the Namm threats that will start showing up soon. Seems like a great idea and design. I use graph tech products on both guitar and ukulele. Seems like a brilliant idea

70sSanO
01-18-2019, 09:19 PM
There is probably a weight savings also. That is a good thing and maybe a downside... really good for less weight hanging on headstock, but “maybe” not so good if the lower mass on the headstock reduces sustain. Probably not an issue for most.

John

Edit: LOL!!! I guess I should have watched the video first. It was late and didn’t to wake my wife.

Rakelele
01-19-2019, 01:11 AM
I'm somewhat torn about this: I do appreciate being given a new choice at a competitive pricing, yet the technology is clearly "inspired" by Gotoh's UPT system, so I find it a bit bold of them to state in their advertisement video that this is "a totally new approach and design".

Jerryc41
01-19-2019, 01:49 AM
They look to be plastic.

Probably similar to Pegheds.

M3Ukulele
01-19-2019, 02:38 PM
“Totally new approach” depends on how the gears actually work. I have no problem with chain. I like low profile. If they work good, I will have no problem with material is made of. I’m excited. Can’t wait to put set on my TT.

Ukecaster
01-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Will they have different sizes, ala UPT vs UPTL?

70sSanO
01-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Since these are touted as upgrade tuners, I’d be interested to know easy a retrofit would be. They appear to have holes to attach the tuners to the back of the headstock. If the design is a universal retrofit, 5/16” to 25/64” hole size, it would definitely be a new design. If someone didn’t have drill/ream out the existing tuner holes it would make it a lot easier. There is no pic of the sleeve that would be needed to stabilize the tuner stem. $30 for an easy to install planetary would be pretty desirable.

John

kohanmike
01-20-2019, 01:20 PM
On the other thread of the same subject, there's speculation that the $29.95 price is for a set, but I never saw anything that stated such, I'm sure the price is for each.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Ukecaster
01-20-2019, 01:31 PM
On the other thread of the same subject, there's speculation that the $29.95 price is for a set, but I never saw anything that stated such, I'm sure the price is for each.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

If $29.95 each, they won't sell well IMO.

CommonCurt
01-20-2019, 02:10 PM
If $29.95 each, they won't sell well IMO.

I agree. $120 a set? I probably won't be trying them if that's the case.

70sSanO
01-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Ever try to buy one tuner? No one sells individual tuners, not even graph tech. I agree that the MSRP of $29.95 seems way too low, but if you take a good look at the tuners, they looks pretty cheap compared to other “geared” planetary tuners. I would guess a handful of molded plastic parts that fit into a housing that snaps together. There can’t be too much there at a weight of 5 grams.

John

DPO
01-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Ever try to buy one tuner? No one sells individual tuners, not even graph tech. I agree that the MSRP of $29.95 seems way too low, but if you take a good look at the tuners, they looks pretty cheap compared to other “geared” planetary tuners. I would guess a handful of molded plastic parts that fit into a housing that snaps together. There can’t be too much there at a weight of 5 grams.

John

Actually it is fairly easy to buy a single planetary tuner. Not that I ever have, but they are available.

DPO
01-20-2019, 06:53 PM
I agree. $120 a set? I probably won't be trying them if that's the case.

Hard to imagine anyone paying that sort of money for plastic tuners. Thirty bucks a set, sure.

kohanmike
01-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Ever try to buy one tuner? John

Actually it is fairly easy to buy a single planetary tuner. Not that I ever have, but they are available.

Yes, I buy bass tuners from HipShot, they sell single ones only. I also see singles sold from Amazon. Those prices are in the $75 to $125 a set.

kohanmike
01-21-2019, 06:47 AM
I just called GraphTech, the price IS for a set of 4, $29.95, great, they could very well corner the market at that price. I told him to clarify that on their web site.

EDW
01-21-2019, 06:52 AM
Yeah, figured as much. Otherwise if that was per tuner I think they would price themselves right out of the market, especially for a plastic product. I look forward to seeing these and hearing more about them It is a great idea.

70sSanO
01-21-2019, 08:36 AM
As I said 5 grams of molded plastic, (maybe 3D printed), can’t cost that much to mfg. The tuning peg looks to be a one piece molded with the peg shaft. I imagine the tuner shaft and outer gear is one piece. What’s left?... the inner elliptical gear and a 2 piece housing (bottom plate and outer housing). All “bearing” surfaces are molded in to fit the housing and everything probably does snap together.

John