variable speed orbital sander recommendations or maybe not?

Steve-atl

Reaction score
I have a bosh variable speed orbital sander. It's big and heavy. I have been thinking about getting a lighter orbital sander that would be easier to manage with one hand. Recently I started thinking about those v-shaped sanders. Does anyone use one of these (see attachment)? If you have used one are own one what do you think about it.

Any recommendations are appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 6.13.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 6.13.07 PM.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 13
I use those at times. They work pretty good for sides with certain attachments. But I don't think them a substitute for a 5 inch random orbit. I use the festool 125 5" Random Orbit. They cost a couple hundred but are light and powerful. They have very good dust collection when hooked to a vacuum.

These things occasionally go on sale at the local hardware store and I think, goshdarnit, that tool looks like it would be useful around the shop for something but I can never really think of what that something use would be so I pass on buying one. Someone bought one that posts here a few years ago and was going to post about its usefulness around the shop but nothing came back. I'm with Michael in that the 5" random orbital is the workhorse around the shop and the above tool would be for specialty sanding jobs only. I'm still intrigued with them though.

Top Bottom