PDA

View Full Version : variable speed orbital sander recommendations or maybe not?

Steve-atl
01-20-2019, 12:34 PM
I have a bosh variable speed orbital sander. It's big and heavy. I have been thinking about getting a lighter orbital sander that would be easier to manage with one hand. Recently I started thinking about those v-shaped sanders. Does anyone use one of these (see attachment)? If you have used one are own one what do you think about it.

Any recommendations are appreciated

Thanks

Michael Smith
01-20-2019, 01:29 PM
I use those at times. They work pretty good for sides with certain attachments. But I don't think them a substitute for a 5 inch random orbit. I use the festool 125 5" Random Orbit. They cost a couple hundred but are light and powerful. They have very good dust collection when hooked to a vacuum.

sequoia
01-20-2019, 04:38 PM
These things occasionally go on sale at the local hardware store and I think, goshdarnit, that tool looks like it would be useful around the shop for something but I can never really think of what that something use would be so I pass on buying one. Someone bought one that posts here a few years ago and was going to post about its usefulness around the shop but nothing came back. I'm with Michael in that the 5" random orbital is the workhorse around the shop and the above tool would be for specialty sanding jobs only. I'm still intrigued with them though.

resoman
01-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Festool :agree:
Worth every penny

mikeyb2
01-20-2019, 10:13 PM
There was a similar thread not so long ago. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?136198-Random-orbital-sander&highlight=makita

Steve-atl
01-21-2019, 03:10 AM
Worth every penny

Yeah but that's a bunch of pennies. I've been drooling over one for a long time. Maybe I'll pull the trigger

mikeyb2
01-21-2019, 06:05 AM
Yeah but that's a bunch of pennies. I've been drooling over one for a long time. Maybe I'll pull the trigger

If you're concerned about cost, then get the Makita, you won't regret it.

DPO
01-21-2019, 06:32 PM
Worth every penny

It would need to do more than sanding at NZ$765.00