String Tensions, What the Heck?

CoffeeMate

Reaction score
What do different string tensions mean? How do they effect sound, playability? Do they feel different? Are some tensions easier to fret with, better for picking?
All of this hard, light, medium, dense business is giving me a headache. :confused:

I broke a string today and find myself with no concert size string sets :(. I am used to Aquila's but thought I would give another brand or two a try.

Thanks All

The higher the tension, generally the more volume. But lower tension strings, for most people, are easier to play.

It also has to do with bending. Strings with greater tension don't bend as easily when you're playing single notes (blues, for example used bending a lot). Not really a lot of uke players I see bending notes, though.

It takes a little more pressure to push a tense string to the fretboard than a lighter string. The tradeoff is more volume and a slightly better tonal range with more tension because a tense string transmits more energy to the saddle>bridge>soundboard.

I prefer higher tension strings for the volume and sustain. I'm currently using D'Addario Pro Arte strings on all of my ukes. I found that the Aquila Nylgut strings, at proper tuning, attacked a bit too much for my liking, but they were lovely tuned half a step down.

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. I'm really new to all of this. I think I need to spend some time with a lighter string at this point. I'm dealing with some hand injury/ strength issues (not supposed to be putting any pressure on my hands). I did order some D'Addarios along with the aquilas. I figure I'll never figure this out if I don't give a bunch of stuff a try. ;)

I figure I'll never figure this out if I don't give a bunch of stuff a try. ;)

That's the spirit! Just dive in and find out what you like. :)

KALA reds!

By far the easiest strings to play that I've found are the KALA reds, they are use a special nylon wrapping for the strings, they sound great and make for really easy playing action.

By far the easiest strings to play that I've found are the KALA reds, they are use a special nylon wrapping for the strings, they sound great and make for really easy playing action.

Cool, I haven't heard much about the Kala reds. We have some in soprano size, I may have to try them out on the pineapple just for fun. :shaka:

Cool, I haven't heard much about the Kala reds. We have some in soprano size, I may have to try them out on the pineapple just for fun. :shaka:

Let us know what you think of them.

There are perhaps a dozen makers of ukulele strings right now - Worths, Hilo, Ko'olau, Martin, Kala and others - so you have a world of experimentation ahead of you.

Top Bottom