PDA

View Full Version : New Kinnard Model: Selmer-tyle Super Tenor -- WOW!!

Ukulele Eddie
01-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Kevin Beddoe and luthier John S. Kinnard, have been working on a little stealth project that is now public: a Selmer-style Super Tenor!

Many of you know John's reputation for outstanding ukuleles. What fewer people know is John also has a super reputation for gypsy-style guitars made under the Del Arte brand.

Kevin and John have collaborated to collide these two worlds into a new model that will be offered with either Series 2 or Series 3 appointments and feature the following as "Standard":

Selmer-style body with classic cutaway
Selmer-style snake head slotted headstock
Selmer-style large "D" hole sound hole
Selmer-style classic rosette
Selmer classic-style bridge with string through design
Scale length of 19"
​Side soundport available as an option

Here is a link to some pics and sound sample, which sounds really incredible:

http://www.kinnardukes.com/john-s.-kinnard-selmer-style-super-tenor.html

I love the sound and am curious what others think.

kerneltime
01-22-2019, 06:03 PM
They should articulate beyond looks what is different.. any takers?

EDW
01-23-2019, 02:02 AM
I always love the look of the old Selmer guitars, both these and the small oval sound hole models.

Jerryc41
01-23-2019, 02:05 AM
Quite a sound hole!

Joyful Uke
01-23-2019, 05:00 AM
Wow. That is beautiful both in looks and sound. I think Kinnards just keep getting better and better.

Good thing I don't play anything larger than a concert these days, or I'd really, really want that one.

DownUpDave
01-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Thanks for sharing Eddie, tell John and Kevin nice job, looks and sounds great. You know I like this style and they have done a very good job with it.

kerneltime
01-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Is it just aesthetics or are the bracings, top thickness different?

Ukulele Eddie
01-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Selmer-style instruments are traditionally lattice braced. However, they used a more traditional two fan approach. I have only tried one lattice-braced uke and I did not like it all, so when Beau Hannam built my Selmer-style Grand Tenor, I had him use more traditional uke bracing.

The larger body, sound hole and longer scale are all aesthetic features but they also impact tone. As I noted in my original posting, I think the tone is fantastic and cannot wait to check one out in person.

Pirate Jim
01-24-2019, 12:37 AM
Do you know what strings they're using on it? I've got a 19" tenor and am still playing around with strings on it. I've been tuning it dGBE but am planning to try linear C tuning at some point. I worry that standard tenor strings would be painfully high tension with the extra scale length.

dkcrown
01-24-2019, 02:00 AM
That is a very beautiful and classy looking uke. John's work and attention to detail is outstanding. And Kevin's style of playing is soooo.... soothing and tranquil. Nice job guys!!!!

DownUpDave
01-24-2019, 02:24 AM
Do you know what strings they're using on it? I've got a 19" tenor and am still playing around with strings on it. I've been tuning it dGBE but am planning to try linear C tuning at some point. I worry that standard tenor strings would be painfully high tension with the extra scale length.

I have a 19" tenor and use Thomastik CF30 and CF27 for the wound G and C strings. I use Oais warm for the two trebles. Yes the tension is higher then a 17" tenor, more so on the florocarbon strings then the wounds. I don't mind high tension, if you do try a concert set of strings with either Thomastik CF30 or Fremont Soloist for the wound G if you like only a wound G.

Pirate Jim
01-24-2019, 02:39 AM
I have a 19" tenor and use Thomastik CF30 and CF27 for the wound G and C strings. I use Oais warm for the two trebles. Yes the tension is higher then a 17" tenor, more so on the florocarbon strings then the wounds. I don't mind high tension, if you do try a concert set of strings with either Thomastik CF30 or Fremont Soloist for the wound G if you like only a wound G.

Thanks Dave - I've actually been using a CF30 as the G on it and I have an unused CF27 knocking about so I'll give it a go. Really enjoying the scale length, will be glad when I've dialled in the strings and tuning.

Tele295
01-24-2019, 02:30 PM
I need it. Really 115018

Joyful Uke
05-07-2019, 05:59 AM
There is one for sale right now on Kinnard's website.
Looks beautiful.

Just Russ
05-07-2019, 07:42 AM
I’m curious whether it’s strong enough to handle all metal strings.

Joyful Uke
05-07-2019, 07:45 AM

I would think that if check with Kevin from Kinnard, he'd be able to answer that for you.

prb035
05-07-2019, 10:08 AM
What an interesting design :D Very classy :D

Just Russ
05-07-2019, 10:50 AM
I would think that if check with Kevin from Kinnard, he'd be able to answer that for you.

I’m sure. But at that price point it’s just a curiosity for now and I’m sure he has more important things to do than answer my questions. Maybe if I’m in a position to get one myself later on.

Rakelele
05-07-2019, 07:45 PM

The answer to this question will most likely be no, as with most instruments specifically built for nylon strings. I don't think they would advise you to take that risk on an instrument in this price range.