Tone wood thickness sanded to my specs?

lrg280

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a tone wood supplier that will thickness sand to my specs? Not getting great results with a safe t planer or hand plane just not consistent enough. I plan on purchasing a thickness sander but would like to find a short term solution. Thanks!

Also if it just one top you are doing you can pop in a Rolling stones album in the boom box, crank it up, put some 60 grit sandpaper on your orbital sander and have at it. 60 grit will make relatively short work of thickness sanding a top. That is if it is a softwood. If it is a hardwood top, best to put on something like Insane Clown Posse cause this is gonna take awhile. Or, just find a local woodworking shop that can thin wood. Lots or them around here and I live in the sticks.

I always join my plates and install a rosette before I thickness them. If I don’t then the final thickness will be less than I intended. So if you have someone thickness for you then make the plates thicker than you want them to be on your finished ukulele.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I am going to order from RC and have them sand the back, sides, and top close to my final thickness leaving room for finish sanding.

Where do you live? If you are in the Atlanta area you can come over and use my drum sander

... top close to my final thickness leaving room for finish sanding.

Just keep in mind that if you want to inlay a rosette, you should cut it in before final thickness sanding. I cut in my rosette with about a 0.125 top thickness and then sand down the non-show side (inside) on the top to final thickness. Just a hint to make things a little easier.

Just keep in mind that if you want to inlay a rosette, you should cut it in before final thickness sanding. I cut in my rosette with about a 0.125 top thickness and then sand down the non-show side (inside) on the top to final thickness. Just a hint to make things a little easier.
Good tip! Thanks Sequoia

Top Bottom