What is topboard of this Ukulele? Australian Redwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funtick

Reaction score
Here it is, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01L3DPR8C/
The same available on AliExpress; "UK Dream" brand, UT-63E

Sometimes they say "Korean Pine", sometimes "Pricea Asperata" (which is Spruce); but this one really looks like "bear eaten" aged redwood.

What do you think, worth to try?

Why do you think that Korean Pine is wrong?

Where did "Australian Redwood" come from? As an Australian I can't say that I have ever heard of "Australian Redwood".

EDIT: OK, Californian Redwood was once imported into Australia but its rare these days. No one is going to build inexpensive ukulele's from it.

Last edited:
Interesting. They keep listing as a guitar. Noticed it says it has steel strings. Googled "ponticello" so I guess maybe it's a rosewood bridge?

Their shop does lists ukes for sale, so I don't know why this is different.

Send them a note. Report back because now I'm curious. Especially since it's listed with steel strings

OK, Californian Redwood was once imported into Australia but its rare these days.

Yes correct; sorry for confusing. It is "Sequoia sempervirens" which invaded to Australia awhile ago.

Here are some examples: https://www.acousticcentre.com.au/products/cole-clark-angel-ccan3ec-redwood-rosewood

I do not think it is expensive. People build decks from redwood and from cedar: https://www.timbertown.com/redwood-vs-cedar/. "sinker redwood" panels for Ukulele may cost $50 - $100. Ukulele which I found looks like aged redwood with "bearclaw" marks.

I read this article few days ago, that's why I called it "Australian Redwood":

Californian Redwood Sequoia: Slightly stiffer than Western Red Cedar. Still a great top for softer players but gives great resonance for strummers as well as finger pickers. This is a stunning timber which we source from Australia from trees planted 150 years ago. We feel this works really well on a wide variety of Cole Clark models.
http://coleclarkguitars.com/about-cole-clark/guitar-timbers/

Cole Clark Guitars company from Australia. They say they use timber from their own lands.

I called it "Australian Redwood" since geographically and economically Australia is very close to China; compare with California or Canada with their specifics for wood import/export (and their high prices). I believe even "Korean Pine" Chinese ukes are made from Australian Pine. And "western cedar" is indeed cypress. Sorry for confusing.

The description says "Top: Solid Cedar". I wouldn't try it.

I've even read one funny advice for luthiers hunting for redwood: hunt for old demolition houses they may have old redwood used as floors.

Cole Cark Guitars are expensive. Not some cheap instrument from China.

Ohana Sinker Redwood are from China, and inexpensive.

And, Cort Ukulele is made in South Korea, and HEX, and indeed made by the same factory in China using Blackwood (Acacia kind) from Australia. And Australian Rabbits came from Europe, and Australian Cactuses from America. And Taylor Guitars are indeed made by South Korean factory which outsources now to China, to the same factory which made this "cheap" instrument.

Where aNueNue is made? it costs USD$ 1530. It is "made" in "Republic of China" (Taiwan) by luthier from Japan using wood from Switzerland, and outsourced to "People's Republic Of China" (neighbour).

However... the main subject is not where expensive guitars are made... what is the wood on the picture?

Last edited:
Only way to verify wood is to test a sample, or perhaps smelling it. Lots of woods look very similar, especially if the wood has been treated with a stain. Most experts guess at wood based on other charastics, like the date and location of where the “thing” was made and the style it was made in. You can narrow it down. I say this as a furniture collector.

Perhaps if you verified where it was made, combined with the company, you will improve your odds of guessing right.

Ohana Sinker Redwood are from China, and inexpensive.

And, Cort Ukulele is made in South Korea, and HEX, and indeed made by the same factory in China using Blackwood (Acacia kind) from Australia. And Australian Rabbits came from Europe, and Australian Cactuses from America. And Taylor Guitars are indeed made by South Korean factory which outsources now to China, to the same factory which made this "cheap" instrument.

Where aNueNue is made? it costs USD$ 1530. It is "made" in "Republic of China" (Taiwan) by luthier from Japan using wood from Switzerland, and outsourced to "People's Republic Of China" (neighbour).

However... the main subject is not where expensive guitars are made... what is the wood on the picture?

Again, if you're asking what the top is made out of, the product description in your link says "solid cedar".

Thank you @All for sharing your thoughts and emotions, I really appreciate that! Yes, UAS and ASO both bite me :)
Better to save money and to order custom Kanile'a with redwood soundboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom