Accessory: Pickup Jack Endpin Strap Mounting

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Attaching a strap to a pickup-jack endpin is a vexing problem.

View attachment 115021

A typical ¼” jack endpin is approximately 5/8” in diameter. The groove on it to hold a strap is about a ½” dia. Way too large to fit a typical ukulele or guitar strap.

At first, I enlarged the hole in the strap using a knife and later used a punch I bought. I quickly realized that the strap had to fit tightly in the groove to avoid coming off. But movement of the strap loosened the nut holding the jack to the ukulele’s body.

Next, I tried the D’Addario Acoustic CinchFit Jack Lock, and it worked OK. But I hated the way it rattled and banged against my uke. Plus, having long “shoestrings” holding it to the strap just looks jury-rigged.

Then, I saw this device in a photo posted by a UU Forum member. I asked her about it and she was kind enough to send me the website address for Tapastring the company that makes and sells them.

It is called the “StrapKeeper.” It’s an easy, elegant and inexpensive solution to fitting a strap to a jack endpin. And you don’t have to modify the strap to make it work.

View attachment 115025
Lock Clip.jpgK&K Locked.jpg Baggs Locked.jpg

It’s a piece of leather with holes on each end and a “C” plastic clip that is tethered to the leather piece by a string. You push one end of the leather through the hole in the end of your strap. Fold it so the two holes in the Keeper align and slip it over the endpin. Then push the “C” clip onto the endpin’s groove. That’s it. It allows your strap to rotate freely around the endpin. It holds the strap securely, and looks classy and is unobtrusive.

Exactly what I was searching for. I bought one, then I quickly bought five more. They arrived in five days via first class mail.

You can purchase them directly from Tapastring Guitar Care for $10.99, shipping included, or from a retailer listed on their website:
www.tapastring.com

They also sell a different model to fit smaller diameter jack endpins.

In case you’re wondering, I have zero connection with this company. I’m just a VERY satisfied customer who wants to spread the word about this excellent product.

Attachments

• K&K Jack Endpin.jpg
    K&K Jack Endpin.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 30
  • Strap Keeper.jpg
    Strap Keeper.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
This needs a bump. I use these on guitars and ukuleles, anything with a pickup. Highly highly recommended, they work great. Thanks for bringing this to light Ken, with excellent pictures as well, very helpful

Well that do-hickey does work, and I used to use one too. But I got tired of the two step process when removing the strap, and now my guitars with pickups all have a separate endpin or strap button next to the jack. Martin now does this on many of their acoustics, and it's a great development. It's a bit harder to do on a uke being smaller of course. But I really hate those endpin jacks!

Attachments

• GX endpin.jpg
    GX endpin.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Martin Endpin.jpg
    Martin Endpin.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 24
This needs a bump. I use these on guitars and ukuleles, anything with a pickup. Highly highly recommended, they work great. Thanks for bringing this to light Ken, with excellent pictures as well, very helpful

Thanks Dave. It was making me crazy too. I have no idea why some of the photos embedded and others became thumbnails, though.

Well that do-hickey does work, and I used to use one too. But I got tired of the two step process when removing the strap, and now my guitars with pickups all have a separate endpin or strap button next to the jack. Martin now does this on many of their acoustics, and it's a great development. It's a bit harder to do on a uke being smaller of course. But I really hate those endpin jacks!

Huh. Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. You have your jack mounted low with a regular endpin above. Is the leather to protect the finish from the strap & jack? Another good solution.

To be honest, I keep a different strap on each of my tenor ukuleles and rarely remove them. I like to find strap designs that compliment each ukulele. Whether color or pattern or the art. Some are more successful than others.

I prefer 2" wide guitar straps to 1" or 1.5" ukulele straps. Mostly because there are more designs available, but also because I think they are more comfortable and don't dig into my shoulder.

Attaching a strap to a pickup-jack endpin is a vexing problem.

(snip)

It is called the “StrapKeeper.” It’s an easy, elegant and inexpensive solution to fitting a strap to a jack endpin. And you don’t have to modify the strap to make it work.

View attachment 115025
View attachment 115028View attachment 115029 View attachment 115031

It’s a piece of leather with holes on each end and a “C” plastic clip that is tethered to the leather piece by a string. You push one end of the leather through the hole in the end of your strap. Fold it so the two holes in the Keeper align and slip it over the endpin. Then push the “C” clip onto the endpin’s groove. That’s it. It allows your strap to rotate freely around the endpin. It holds the strap securely, and looks classy and is unobtrusive.

Exactly what I was searching for. I bought one, then I quickly bought five more. They arrived in five days via first class mail.

You can purchase them directly from Tapastring Guitar Care for $10.99, shipping included, or from a retailer listed on their website:
www.tapastring.com

They also sell a different model to fit smaller diameter jack endpins.

In case you’re wondering, I have zero connection with this company. I’m just a VERY satisfied customer who wants to spread the word about this excellent product.

Interesting. I was faced with the same issue when I bought a uke through the Marketplace that had a pickup and jack installed (which I have yet to use. LOL)

I didn't know about this product, but by sheer coincidence, I independently came up with an almost identical solution to this, using pieces of scrap leather and rubber found around the house and cut to the right sizes and shapes.

Cost: nothing :)
(just so people on a tight budget know, it can be done!)

bratsche

Top Bottom