Beautiful Custom "Black Koa" Sonny D Tenor ON FIRE Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhiggie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Beautiful Custom "Black Koa" Sonny D Tenor ON FIRE Model Reduced to $1200!

This model is extremely rare, there have been less than a handful made. A similar Curly Black Koa ON FIRE model has been featured on the cover of Ka'au Crater Boy's Album "ON FIRE" featuring Troy Fernandez playing it. This ukulele shape is one of the most desirable Sonny D has every made! As it was explained to me, Black Koa grows on Oahu and is rare because the tree has to grow close to an old lava flow, and that dark water is drawn up into the lower part of the trunk creating the "black Koa". It is crazy beautiful and different from most other koa's you see. I was hoping it would also have a different voice but I guess Koa is Koa and it's very similar to a couple other koa's I have. And as with all of us, I have my eye on something else!

Sonny D ukuleles are the second oldest Hawaiian ukulele company next to Kamaka. Sonny D ukuleles was established in the 1960s. All Sonny D ukuleles are handcrafted, the old-fashion way using traditional style hand crafting, whereas most of today's ukulele's are made using a production style with modern tools/machines. Many famous Hawaiian entertainers have used Sonny D Ukuleles for recording and/or performing. Artists such as: IZ, Troy Fernandez, The Ka'au Crater Boys, Ohta San, Rebal Soljahz, Na Leo, Sean Na'auao, Robi Kahakalau, Beach 5. This Ukulele will be shipped in a Hard Shell Case. Don't miss your chance to own a rare limited quantity full solid Hawaiian curly black koa Troy Fernandez ON FIRE model custom Tenor ukulele from one of Hawaii's premier old school Uke builders. You probably will never see another made from this rare wood! Strap not included. I've lowered the price from $1650 to $1200 (plus shipping/insurance) as I want to snag another deal before it slios away. I'm happy to answer any questions you have or send additional photos you might desire.

I've had a few inquiries about the price on this one at $1650. The simple answer is the woods, as in many ukes. Black KOA is a version of beautiful KOA you may never see again. It's pretty spectacular! Consider the Collings UT1K and the UT3K. Both built to the same quality level. The only difference is the wood and trim-out used.

As with many others out there, our aquired ukes are special until the "more special" uke comes along. Then it's all about what ukes do you have similar to other ukes you have. Thanks again! Rick

Attachments

• IMG_5517.jpg
    IMG_5517.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_5522.jpg
    IMG_5522.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_5529.jpg
    IMG_5529.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 499
  • R-7702785-1447048368-4711.jpeg.jpg
    R-7702785-1447048368-4711.jpeg.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Striking uke there! You might want to include your asking price. :shaka:

Awesome looking tenor ukulele. That black koa is really fabulous. I love the layered heel. Wonderful.

What are you asking for this lovely lady?

Added the price, I'm used to the price bing on the Title line. Thanks for the reminders! Aloha...

Bump - Price reduced by $450! You'll probably never see another like it!

What a beauty!

Last edited:
I actually gasped when I saw this.

Been playing this one some more because I just love the dark Koa grains. Trying to hear a different voice than the other Koa's I have. But alas, it's very similar and I have some really nice Koa tenors. Anyone got something different to trade? Different woods, different size? Always looking for something different from what I currently have. Thanks all. Rick

Which wood are the sides made of? Sent you PM, by the way...

Hi it's all solid Koa, the sides just doesn't have quite as dark grains as the top and back. I replied to your PM. Any other questions, let me know. Thanks for the interest! Rick

Hi it's all solid Koa, the sides just doesn't have quite as dark grains as the top and back. I replied to your PM. Any other questions, let me know. Thanks for the interest! Rick

Bump for the new week...

$1000 and it's yours for the next 5 hours! You probably won't ever see another Black Koa...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom