Different bridge style

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Ever seen a soprano bridge like this? Has string slots, but no holes for the string knots to enter. Instead, the back end of the bridge is tilted, which I assume holds the knots in place. It is on an old Favilla, which Tom Favilla told me a while ago was from the late teens to early 20s. Not sure if this is an old style original bridge, before someone (probably Martin) invented the hole to go with the slot. Didn't think of this question until now.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
The bridge's primary purpose is to hold the strings in tension with the tuners, & transmit the vibrations of plucked strings to the sound board, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it does the job - yes, I have seen that kind before. :)

I think what John may be saying is that the string slots on this bridge don't have the usual little "carports" (that's what I call them!) for the knots to tuck into, and that, instead, the back of the bridge is cut at a rearward-tilting angle, all the way across, so as to "catch" the knot and keep it secure. I could be wrong (not the first time!), but I too have not seen this specific presentation before.

Yes Bill, that's what I was referencing. The Martin that Jerry shows has string slots, but also the holes to hide the knots. My bridge does not have the holes, so the string knots sit exposed on the outside of the slot.

I've never seen it, either. You must have been trolling for Favillas when your hand was not working.

I think what John may be saying is that the string slots on this bridge don't have the usual little "carports" (that's what I call them!) for the knots to tuck into, and that, instead, the back of the bridge is cut at a rearward-tilting angle, all the way across, so as to "catch" the knot and keep it secure. I could be wrong (not the first time!), but I too have not seen this specific presentation before.

Okay. Understood.

No, I own this one, needs a new saddle, and the last fret is too high. Looks like it had a neck reset, and probably a new back too. Before I lost the saddle, it did sound and play great. Probably gonna sell it for $100.00, if anyone is interested. Late teens, early 20s, according to Tom Favilla.

Top Bottom