No drill strap for pineapple shape?

hollymichele

Reaction score
I just got a pineapple ukulele, and want to try a no drill strap...but I'm wondering if anyone has tried a brand that works well on a pineapple shape.

You could use a patch of adhesive velcro on the tail end, where an end-pin would go, with a matching velcro on one end of the strap to go there, and then tie the other end of the strap to the headstock between the nut and tuner pegs.

No drilling involved and most ukes are not heavy enough to exceed the attachment strength of velcro and it's adhesive (to the wood).

However, you are trading one kind of modification (gluing something via adhesive vs. drilling a ~1/8" hole) for another.

Some people are kind of OCD about drilling a tiny hole thinking it hurts the instrument or lowers it's value, but as a player, if it improves the functionality for you, then maybe this should not be such a taboo like many people make it out to be.

There is this huge hysterical debate about installing a strap pin and whether or not it kills the resale value, and I would kindly suggest not to get sucked in to that abyss of misery and do what works for you. for after all, it's your instrument.

Nobody else should tell you what to do. :)

What Joe said above works for me now but I used to be distracted about the possibility of damaging a Uke’s value by fitting a strap button - Ukes are made for playing so if a particular Uke is that valuable or precious then I don’t want it.

There is a magnetic strap option, a magnet is bonded inside the Uke and another ‘couples’ with it on the outside of the body together with an attached strap. Never tried it myself but it’s surely an option worth exploring.

Congrats on getting a Pineapple Uke. Typically I find that they give more volume and a fuller tone (a bit less treble and a bit more bass) than the equivalent standard figure eight shape. I like that tone moderation on a Soprano, YMMV.

Last edited:
We can make strap hook with a thumb pick (See the photo below).

The Magic Fluke has two solutions. They have "sticky" Grip Strips that adhere to the back of the uke - more or less permanently. When you hold the uke against your body, the strips grip your clothing (or bare skin :) ). They also sell a Velcro strap attachment.

An independent person makes and sells 3" rubbery pads that adhere to both the back of the uke and to you. Unlike the other products, they can be removed very easily. I'll see if I can find a link. It's called "Stickin' with My Uke." I bought a couple at the Funky Frets Uke Fest last year.
https://www.stickinwithmyuke.com/buy

Also -
https://ukuguides.com/advanced/put-a-strap-on-your-ukulele-without-drilling/

I used to be distracted about the possibility of damaging a Uke’s value by fitting a strap button - Ukes are made for playing so if a particular Uke is that valuable or precious then I don’t want it.

There is a magnetic strap option, a magnet is bonded inside the Uke and another ‘couples’ with it on the outside of the body together with an attached strap. Never tried it myself but it’s surely an option worth exploring.

Lots of high end ukes come with strap buttons - or as an option. Aside from making it easier to play a tenor while standing, it also makes it almost impossible to accidentally drop it.

I wouldn't want the magnetic type. There is no way the external half would not move around. I'm guessing they would have felt or rubber on the area that contacts the body, but I'd be afraid of slippage - or total disconnection.

We can make strap hook with a thumb pick (See the photo below).

I never thought of a thumb pick, I’ve been looking for a gully hook,that’s what Levy straps calls the hook you put in the sound hole, as I want to make my own strap. The classical strap with hook does not work very well with a round ukulele. First problem, portion of strap that goes round body too short. Second problem won’t stay in place. Third problem flips away from you.

The classical strap with hook does not work very well with a round ukulele. First problem, portion of strap that goes round body too short. Second problem won’t stay in place. Third problem flips away from you.

Yes Lacole, but not too bad.

Yes Lacole, but not too bad.

Sweet looking ukulele!

My round body ukulele is much bigger.
I have two classical type straps. Actually the one strap may be a leash. It is larger and works better than the Levi which is shorter. The Levi strap works better for an hour glass shaped soprano or concert, but is short for a tenor, or the round ukulele.

The Magic Fluke has two solutions. They have "sticky" Grip Strips that adhere to the back of the uke - more or less permanently. When you hold the uke against your body, the strips grip your clothing (or bare skin :) ). They also sell a Velcro strap attachment.

An independent person makes and sells 3" rubbery pads that adhere to both the back of the uke and to you. Unlike the other products, they can be removed very easily. I'll see if I can find a link. It's called "Stickin' with My Uke." I bought a couple at the Funky Frets Uke Fest last year.
https://www.stickinwithmyuke.com/buy

Also -
https://ukuguides.com/advanced/put-a-strap-on-your-ukulele-without-drilling/

I've actually attached a strap button to a Magic Fluke instrument, but not on the base ...

3M also makes those removable adhesive plastic wall hooks that perform the same duties as a strap button. Just attach near the base, on the top side, and voila! you can hook your strap there.

flea-button.jpg

Top Bottom