Best Tuner Winder?

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My $1.75 guitar tuner winder snapped mid wind. Any recommendations? Is the Planet Waves Ukulele winder/cutter/peg popper the way to go? Is it possible to buy one winder that lasts a lifetime?

Manual or for an electric drill?

I like my manual MusicNomad one a lot. Much more comfortable to use than the inexpensive plastic ones.
Amazon Listing: Music Nomad MN221 GRIP String Peg Winder, Rubber Lined and Dual Bearing

$1.75? Just get another one. :p

I like my manual MusicNomad one a lot. Much more comfortable to use than the inexpensive plastic ones.
Amazon Listing: Music Nomad MN221 GRIP String Peg Winder, Rubber Lined and Dual Bearing

I can imagine myself with a drill winder snapping strings left and right. :p
The Music Nomad looks just right. Thanks.

This works pretty good...:D:shaka:
winder.jpg

These are "on sale" now for $1, and maybe once a year, I'll add 1-2 of them to the cart when I order strings from this vendor:

dunlop-gel-string-winder-assorted-colors-2.gif

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dunlopwinder.html

I think the first one lasted me 2 yrs before it broke and I was happy to have spares on hand, and the second one is going on 3 yrs now.

I have the manual MusicNomad one also, and it is the best manual winders I've ever tried.

However I ended up getting a MuiscNomad GRIP Drill Bit & Black+Decker Cordless screwdriver combo, and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M68GLAB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HY3APW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are "on sale" now for $1, and maybe once a year, I'll add 1-2 of them to the cart when I order strings from this vendor:

I think the first one lasted me 2 yrs before it broke and I was happy to have spares on hand, and the second one is going on 3 yrs now.

Yep, this is like the one that broke. I had it about 2 years.

Last edited:
I use my fingers!

Why not....... there are only 4 strings....... doesn't take long, just get into a rhythm, & you're done. :D
There is that. Typically I use the winder more for taking off the strings and maybe a few turns going on. As soon as there is any real tension going on, I'll use my fingers to get up to pitch.

Fingers!

I use my fingers!

Why not....... there are only 4 strings....... doesn't take long, just get into a rhythm, & you're done. :D

I think that if I had more ukuleles than three ukuleles and I changed strings more often than I do I would get one. I see the cheapies in a jar at the music store down the street and I am always tempted because they are so cheap and I think that it might be nice. Even a good one costs little more than the strings themselves. But then I think that it is just one more thing to keep track of and I back off. Fingers work.

There is that. Typically I use the winder more for taking off the strings and maybe a few turns going on. As soon as there is any real tension going on, I'll use my fingers to get up to pitch.
When I'm taking the old ones off, I loosen them up a couple of turns so that they don't just snap and then snip them with a fingernail clippers.

Last edited:

Thanks for that. I ordered from them yesterday. Too bad I didn't know about these at the time. I'll have to place another $35 order to get free shipping.

You UUers have waaaaay too much time on your hands. Go play the heck out of your ukes. That’s what they’re for, and not something to endlessly shop for and change and talk about.

Anybody can shop and hunt and buy and admire, but probably only a few can really play worth a darn.

Play, play, play . . . fix it when it breaks. (((I’m having a bad month . . . ))). :eek:ld:

You UUers have waaaaay too much time on your hands. Go play the heck out of your ukes. That’s what they’re for, and not something to endlessly shop for and change and talk about.

Anybody can shop and hunt and buy and admire, but probably only a few can really play worth a darn.

Play, play, play . . . fix it when it breaks. (((I’m having a bad month . . . ))). :eek:ld:

I know a woman, and I won't go so far as to call her a friend, but I know her well enough, and she collects violins and everything related to violins. As far as I know, she can't play them."

This is coming from a man with almost 3,300 posts here. :D

(No offense intended)

Top Bottom