PDA

View Full Version : Ever buy 2 of the same uke?

Ukecaster
01-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Ever buy 2 of the same uke, to keep at the same time?

I have a Cordoba 24T-CE, solid cedar top and spalted maple lam B&S. Sure, it's no K-brand, but to my ears, it has great tone and volume, and the 1.5" wide nut allows me to play very accurately. Plus, you can grab one off eBay for about $125.00 shipped. Mine is in low G, and I like it so much, I'm thinking of getting another, non-cutaway, to keep as my high G tenor.

How about you? Any double doses of the same uke, and if so, why?

kvehe
01-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Yes. About six years ago I bought a limited-run Takamine laminate tenor. I love it. When I had had it for about a week I decided that I needed a spare, either in case anything happened to the first one or to be strung low-G. Alas, they were no longer available. I’ve been looking for one ever since, and miracle of miracles, I found one last year.

I have two Kala acacia concerts.

I also have two identical Enya concerts. I forget exactly how that happened, but they were something like $25 each so I kept both.

I have high- and low-G Cocobolo concerts and high- and low-G Cocobolo tenors.

Joe King
01-28-2019, 12:17 PM
IMHO, alternate tunings are a perfectly good reason to have a duplicate model of a uke that you love. :)

TobyDog
01-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Yep, for almost 2 years I had 2 Magic Fluke Fleas with upgraded fretboard and tuners, one blue and one designer. One high G, one low G.
I sold my high G when I got my Koaloha.

captain-janeway
01-28-2019, 03:25 PM
If my Kala solid cedar top came on soprano I'd snatch it up. I bought a tenor that turned out to be too big for me so managed to trade with someone here for a concert. Love it! If I needed to have exactly same model in your scenario, then I wouldn't mind having one for low g

Choirguy
01-28-2019, 03:30 PM
How about 60 of the same ukulele? (I'm a teacher).

Ukulammy
01-28-2019, 05:33 PM
You know, I was literally just thinking about this as I was playing my beloved Deering banjolele this evening. What if it’s discontinued?! What if they change the neck that’s currently so perfect for my stubby fingers? Should I get another just in case?!

onyx725
01-28-2019, 06:08 PM
Almost identical. One Makala dolphin in orange sunburst and a teal Makala shark. Love these fun and playable ukes!

Also Koaloha concert siblings KCM-00 and KCM-10 so I can have both in two tunings. The former is high G and latter, low G.

Graham Greenbag
01-28-2019, 10:22 PM
Ever buy 2 of the same uke, to keep at the same time?

How about you? Any double doses of the same uke, and if so, why?

I’ve had a succession of 2nd hand Dolphins the earlier ones of which I gave away to various folk - it gave them something to play and (at the time) it gave me space for something else. My remaining Dolphin is my beater and a nice enough player (really pleased with it now its been ‘sorted’) but I can’t think of a use for a second one - every time I see a cheap one on eBay I try to think of reasons why I need another one but each time I fail.

At one time I had an old Lanikai LU21-P and a newer Kala KA-P at the same time, they were near identical and the later was - to the best of my knowledge - a development of the former. With the exception of string influence they played very similar. My instinct was that the LU-21P was too fragile to be kept and used as a beater so I sold it to make way for something tougher, in hindsight I wish I’d kept it and just used it regardless of the possible damage to it. Maybe I’d have broken the LU21-P and maybe I wouldn’t, but in the meantime it would have been a better player than my (good) Dolphin.

I’m glad that you posted your comment about duplicate Ukes, it’s got me thinking and maybe the next time I see a bargain priced Uke that’s the same or similar to one that I already like I might well press the buy button. A familiar playing beater, or something familiar that’s just differently strung, could be really useful.

Croaky Keith
01-28-2019, 11:29 PM
No. :cool:

But I do have very similar ukes of various sizes. :D

But since I found a type of uke that really seems to be 'me', I bought another very similar, but different make & wood, & am often tempted when I come across another similar type - long neck concert. :)

(So far I have resisted, because I have too many ukes already...........no, really.......I have...... :rofl: )

bobhost
01-29-2019, 02:57 AM
I have an inexpensive Cordoba concert and was considering getting a second so I could have one in low G. But my wife got me a Tenor for Christmas and a set of low G strings for it.
Now the temptation has gone away.

Jerryc41
01-29-2019, 03:44 AM
I bought a red Waterman to play under less than ideal conditions, and I also bought a clear Waterman because I wanted to put LEDs inside it. I have several of the same brand ukulele, but not the same brand and model.

Jerryc41
01-29-2019, 03:45 AM
You know, I was literally just thinking about this as I was playing my beloved Deering banjolele this evening. What if it’s discontinued?! What if they change the neck that’s currently so perfect for my stubby fingers? Should I get another just in case?!

Very good point. Things like that happen. Of course, since you already have one, do you need another?

G Hill
01-29-2019, 04:47 AM
I've got a brace of Ludwig Wendell Hall Banjo ukes. One's a spare for when I have to change the skin on my regular daily player. Love em both!
Cheers
Gary

Canuckulele
01-29-2019, 04:50 AM
After I bought the K-1 Tenor satin, HMS knocked another $100 off one of their remaining ones. I almost got it so my wife and I would both have one, but stalled too long and it was gone. But...it led to a new Koaloha tenor instead, so I won’t whine about it. :D

Lacole
01-29-2019, 04:59 AM
I have an inexpensive Cordoba concert and was considering getting a second so I could have one in low G. But my wife got me a Tenor for Christmas and a set of low G strings for it.
Now the temptation has gone away.
Have you put the low G’s on your tenor yet.
I bought low g’s to put on my tenor, but have not changed it.

I don’t believe I would buy two identical ukuleles. (Locally that would almost be the only choice). I do have a soprano and tenor from the same brand,

janeray1940
01-29-2019, 05:14 AM
I've since sold one, but the first couple of years I was learning to play I had twin Kamaka HF-2 concerts - one reentrant, one low G.

bobhost
01-29-2019, 05:35 AM
Have you put the low G’s on your tenor yet.
I bought low g’s to put on my tenor, but have not changed it.

I don’t believe I would buy two identical ukuleles. (Locally that would almost be the only choice). I do have a soprano and tenor from the same brand,

I did. First, just the g string. Which required me to open the nut slot for the larger diameter string. The action is still too high giving me intonation problems at the first fret. I purchased a nut slot gauge and nut files. I will be working on adjusting the action.

Before I do that, I put on the rest of the strings from the same set. I am still stretching them in. I want to get a feel for the entire string set before I start filing the slots.

I do feel that the low G is a bit 'boomy'. I understand that this is somewhat common with tenors and low G. The difference is a bit less noticeable now that I have all 4 strings on from the same set (cannot remember the brand my wife got, and I am at work so cannot check)

Nickie
01-29-2019, 05:38 AM
Wow, Katheryn, you have 4 Cocoboli?

We have 2 Cocoboli, so much alike that one is for sale. See the Marketplace.

Canuckulele
01-29-2019, 06:06 AM
I've since sold one, but the first couple of years I was learning to play I had twin Kamaka HF-2 concerts - one reentrant, one low G.

Now there’s an idea. So I can get another KTM-00 and K-1 and string them in low g. UAS out of control.

Ziret
01-29-2019, 06:15 AM
Confession time, yes, I have two Flight sopranos. I bought the second because I like them and it was really cheap. Then I kicked myself as I didn't need it. And yet I can't seem to let it go. I thought I'd put one in the car and have one at work, but I like having them in the house. They're not just cute and easy to play, with Aquila red strings they sound really good. Nonetheless, I'm sure one is living on borrowed time.

kvehe
01-29-2019, 09:41 AM
Wow, Katheryn, you have 4 Cocoboli?

We have 2 Cocoboli, so much alike that one is for sale. See the Marketplace.

I was in the right place at the right time. :)

They’re great.

Ukecaster
01-29-2019, 09:48 AM
........Duplicates are useful for more objectively comparing string types; I've used them for that a few times.

Duplicates for real-time string swapping comparisons...pure genius! :)

Swamp Yankee
01-29-2019, 01:34 PM
I came very close to buying a second Cordoba 24T.
My wife and I were in a Guitar Center that had one with the most gorgeous spalted maple back and sides.. I was seriously tempted, and my wife was OK with it. But I didn't.

bazmaz
01-29-2019, 11:48 PM
Not at the same time.. but...

Years back I bought a Bruko 6 soprano. Sold it on and immediately regretted it. Bought another.

Couple of years later - sold that. Regretted it. Bought another.

So that is 3 Bruko 6 sopranos at various times!

jimavery
01-30-2019, 12:03 PM
I have two similar Brüko slim sopranos. The intention was to have one tuned GCEA and the other ADF#B. The latter has the arched back, and being a later model with traditional bridge has turned out to be in many ways superior; so much so that if I could afford it I'd buy another just in case the other gets damaged.

kaizersoza
01-30-2019, 12:15 PM
yes I have but only once, the uke was a Mainland cedar/rosewood tenor, I gigged with it for 5 years and it got battered, but fair play to it, that uke never let me down, I loved that uke so much, I bought another one, it is just as reliable, resonant and tough as the first one i bought, a definite keeper that I will never part with

Ukecaster
02-14-2019, 07:00 AM
Took the plunge on another Cordoba tenor. My cutaway is obviously older, the top has darkened alot by comparison with the newer one. Both have cool flame on the back.

Swamp Yankee
02-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Cool! the new one has an image of the bride of Frankenstein wearing a gas mask, and the cutaway has one of those Ancient alien depictions from a cave in Tblisi or something..

Rllink
02-14-2019, 09:04 AM
One fall I won three Waterman ukes almost back to back. I kept giving them away and as soon as I got rid of one, I would win another.

frets alot
02-14-2019, 09:38 AM
One fall I won three Waterman ukes almost back to back. I kept giving them away and as soon as I got rid of one, I would win another.

Wish I had your kind of luck with winning!

Kenn2018
02-14-2019, 10:17 AM
I have two Kanile'a K-1Ts. The first one I bought used on Ebay. It has a blonde-ish koa gloss body. I bought the second on Reverb because it had exactly the type of flamed (tiger-striped?) koa I had been looking for. I have one strung with Living Waters Low-G. The other came with a set of Worth Brown Low-Gs which I like very much as well.

Both are beautiful looking and great sounding keepers.

ksiegel
02-14-2019, 11:31 AM
I won an Ohana Vita Uke from an on-line drawing (Making Music magazine) I entered here on UU. I love it. Then, when UU member had one for sale, I bought the rosewood version of the same from him. So I have two.

(Then, when I found out that the Vita Uke Case fits my soprano Firefly banjo uke, I bought another one of those cases...)

-Kurt

Jerryc41
02-15-2019, 12:45 AM
Come to think of if, I have three almost identical KoAlohas.

Jerryc41
02-15-2019, 12:47 AM
I won an Ohana Vita Uke from an on-line drawing (Making Music magazine) I entered here on UU. I love it.

-Kurt

The Vita makes a big sound with a small body. Very nice. I like the fact that it traces its origin back to Roy Smeck.

Rllink
02-15-2019, 02:21 AM
Wish I had your kind of luck with winning!

My kind of luck? They were Watermans.

UkerDanno
02-15-2019, 02:44 AM

;) I had about the same luck a few years ago, was gifted one of those tiny ipod shuffles, then won one at a work drawing. Gave one to my son and sold the other one...

Rllink
02-15-2019, 03:49 AM
;) I had about the same luck a few years ago, was gifted one of those tiny ipod shuffles, then won one at a work drawing. Gave one to my son and sold the other one...

I gave my Watermans to people who I wanted to discourage from learning to play the ukulele.

frets alot
02-15-2019, 11:28 PM

That's good luck to someone (me) who never, ever wins anything. I'd take them, if only to donate them.

UkerDanno
02-18-2019, 02:23 AM
I gave my Watermans to people who I wanted to discourage from learning to play the ukulele.

;):agree: I've played a couple, not good...

Jerryc41
02-18-2019, 02:33 AM

Okay! Don't rub it in! :D

JesterBlod
02-23-2019, 11:49 PM
I've bought two Ziegenspeck Tenor Sunrise Ukes - to be fair they're not identical except in shape - one a cedar top, the other a spruce - they have totally different characters.

Jerryc41
02-24-2019, 01:21 AM
Sold it on and immediately regretted it. Bought another.

I've done that several times, too.

spongeuke
02-24-2019, 09:09 PM
It just occurred to me that I have 8 and have had over 25 Martin Sopranos, they are all different. "You never step in the same river twice"

glennerd
02-25-2019, 06:29 AM
I've never got on well with the sound of low G so no duplicates of my sopranos, but I wouldn't mind a 2nd one of my baritone with high D.