PDA

View Full Version : FedEx Delivery - 20

Jerryc41
01-29-2019, 06:42 AM
I just got a uke delivered, and it's 20 outside. Should I wait a whole day to open it? Tough call. According to the recommendations, there is a loophole that would let me open it immediately.

I think I'll wait a few hours, open the box, and wait a few more hours before opening the case.

What kind of uke is it? You'll have to wait until I open the case. :o

WestyShane
01-29-2019, 06:54 AM
My camping uke (laminate Kala cedar top) sees pretty wild temperature swings (20s at night and up to 80 later that day) without issue but the changes happen gradually. I protect my solid ukes from that though.

I would probably leave it in it's case for the day. As your sig indicates, you're not lacking for something to play right now!

Rllink
01-29-2019, 06:55 AM
What's the hurry Jerry? I mean, why take a chance?

mikelz777
01-29-2019, 07:22 AM
A loophole? That's just a way of bypassing what should be done instead. I'd wait. Why take any chances? It'll still be in the box tomorrow and it's not like you're without a uke. Maybe this struggle and lack of patience is a way of illustrating that you might be more into shopping and aquiring new ukes than playing ukes, plugging into that thrill of a new thing.

Joyful Uke
01-29-2019, 10:27 AM
I just got a uke delivered, and it's 20 outside. Should I wait a whole day to open it?

From the subject header, I thought it's -20 by you. + 20 seems balmy to me right now. I'm looking forward to a heat wave like that.

Definitely at least wait a few hours, start opening the box, wait a few hours, take it out of the box but leave it in the case, and wait a few hours more. Then see how it feels to the touch. If still cold, (colder than your other ukulele cases), wait some more.

That may be a longer wait then you need, but IMO better to err on the side of caution than to have regrets because you opened it too quickly.

Jerryc41
01-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Thanks, all. I've developed patience along with age.

Joyful Uke
01-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Thanks, all. I've developed patience along with age.

I did think about suggesting that you open it immediately, and let us know what happens, but since that probably wouldn't end well, I didn't wish that on either you or the ukulele.
(But I am curious - if it's someone else's ukulele, anyway. LOL.)

Jerryc41
01-29-2019, 11:09 AM
I did think about suggesting that you open it immediately, and let us know what happens, but since that probably wouldn't end well, I didn't wish that on either you or the ukulele.
(But I am curious - if it's someone else's ukulele, anyway. LOL.)

That's the type of thing I would say, "Sure go ahead and open it in front of a roaring fire." :o

Pictures tomorrow.