Anyone have an opimiom on this book?

AQUATOPAZ

Reaction score
I am considering this book, but can't find any reviews on it. Has anyone tried it?

Mastering the Right Hand for the Ukulele: 52 Right Hand Strumming and Picking Variations on the Holiday Classic "Auld Lang Syne"

Having the same song played in different ways with the same chords sounds intriguing.

Opinion? Oooo I often have a lot of those! Why Auld Lang Syne I wonder? Auld Lang Syne isn't a song I'd ever want to play in the first place so trying to slog through 52 variations would be torture even if it's intent is to learn right hand technique. The book is obviously written by someone with much more focus, discipline and tolerance than I would have. Like Jerry suggests above, there are a lot of resources out there, a lot of them free. I've never seen the book that you mention but I'd give it a hard pass.

I don't know anything about that specific book, but the answer to the question of whether the book is a good one for you or not will be very individual.
Do they offer any free samples, so you can get an idea of what you think? Even a single page might help you decide.

Unlike others who have posted, I actually do enjoy playing Auld Lang Syne. :)

And, depending on my available time and mood, I can get into the idea of learning various ways to play something, deciding what works for my own style of playing with my various limitations, seeing what is different about the styles, and so on.

And, other times, I say forget all that. I just want to play. Or learn a specific song that isn't part of any book or learning series.

So, it really all depends on what you're interested in right now. If that book appeals to you and you think that the price is right, maybe it's worth taking a chance on it. Only you can decide that.

Opinion? Oooo I often have a lot of those! Why Auld Lang Syne I wonder? Auld Lang Syne isn't a song I'd ever want to play in the first place so trying to slog through 52 variations would be torture even if it's intent is to learn right hand technique. The book is obviously written by someone with much more focus, discipline and tolerance than I would have. Like Jerry suggests above, there are a lot of resources out there, a lot of them free. I've never seen the book that you mention but I'd give it a hard pass.

Yes, Auld Lang Syne wouldn't be my choice for a song. I thought of trying it because 52 variations of any song seems like it would be a good learning experience to hear differences and compare effects. My strumming needs help and I want to play chord melodies. Seems like I have a strumming mental block.

Why Auld Lang Syne I wonder? Auld Lang Syne isn't a song I'd ever want to play in the first place...

On the other hand, you'd probably play it just once a year, accompanied by a lot of drinking and a lot of noise. How good would your playing have to be? :D

I did go ahead and ordered it. The ability to practice different strum and picking patterns without relearning chord changes and also being able to hear the effects of what I am learning on the same song was enticing enough to take a chance on it.

Top Bottom