PDA

View Full Version : HMS and Uke Republic

frets alot
02-01-2019, 11:10 AM
I've purchased all my ukes from my local music store. I'm considering my next purchase from HMS or UR. I pretty sure either would be just fine, but just checking. I understand HMS does a full set-up. Does UR also do full set-ups? Thoughts on either/both store/s?
Any other store to consider (I'm leaning Pono or Kala)?

Joyful Uke
02-01-2019, 11:18 AM
You might also want to consider buying from Mim.
She sells Pono, too. The ukulele that I bought from her is the best set up of any of my ukuleles. We talked about what I liked, and she did a great job.

RafterGirl
02-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Mim, Uke Republic and Elderly Instruments do a full set-up. I have purchased a uke from both Uke Republic and Mim with good results. I haven't purchased from Elderly thus far, but I've had good communication from them when I had questions about ukes they had for sale.

frets alot
02-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Elderly is my local store (since 1974), but I can't do a Pono from them. Kala, yes.

tomthebaptist
02-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Mike and Donna at UR do Great Setups. I’ve bought from all three and UR did the best setups and offered the best service. I would go with UR.

Tom

Mim
02-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked.
In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.

DaveY
02-01-2019, 12:51 PM
I think you'll find the best selection at HMS/The Ukulele Site, as Mim mentioned; and I agree with Mim about the Opio option. I've been happy buying from Mim, and from HMS.

frets alot
02-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked.
In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.

Is there an Opio baritone?

UkeDoxie
02-01-2019, 01:44 PM
I have had a great experience with all three. The Ukulele Site has been very good with their customer service, UkeRepublic had quick, quality service, and Elderly had a great price on a book I bought. I have never worked with Mim (sorry Mim, maybe someday). Sounds like any one of these should be able help you. Hope you find your perfect uke!

Mim
02-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Is there an Opio baritone?

Oh, doh, Baritone.
Yeah either Kala or Pono are really great on Baritones due to them having a truss rod. But my Baritone selection is quite thin.
If you are leaning towards Baritone Pono hit up the Ukulele Site. I like the Pono Baritones a lot.

Choirguy
02-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked. In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.

Mim, does this mean you won't be carrying Pono any more? Just curious.

mikhou
02-01-2019, 04:56 PM
I've bought from both Mim and UR. I was very happy with both. I would say that I liked the setup better on the one from Mim, but only fractionally. They were both great! You can't go wrong with either one.

Bill Sheehan
02-01-2019, 05:44 PM
I have bought from Mim, Uke Republic, Elderly, and HMS, and was completely satisfied with the setup work from all four. (Normally I request a medium-low action, but not, as Mim would say, "crazy low".)

Kenn2018
02-01-2019, 07:29 PM
I've purchased tenor Ponos from Uke Republic, MimsUkes and TheUkuleleSite. I requested a slightly lower action to help my slightly arthritic hand to easier barre the first fret and use plain Low-G Fluoro strings. All three came through brilliantly with perfect, slightly lowered setups. With level frets and great intonation. The strings were usually from Worth and most recently Ko'olau.

I have never had the opportunity to buy through Elderly.

I would also recommend looking at Opio ukuleles as well. I don't think HMS handles anything except the higher-end Kala Elite models. They stated that due to high volume of sales, they couldn't carry the lower priced models for now. They do stock them in their stores.

Best of luck.

Kibes37
02-01-2019, 08:04 PM
I've purchased all my ukes from my local music store. I'm considering my next purchase from HMS or UR. I pretty sure either would be just fine, but just checking. I understand HMS does a full set-up. Does UR also do full set-ups? Thoughts on either/both store/s?

I just purchased from The Ukulele Site. I highly recommend.

frets alot
02-02-2019, 12:14 AM
Thanks all, I'm comfortable with ordering from any of the 3. I sort of thought that, but just wanted to confirm. I appreciate the replies.

Jerryc41
02-02-2019, 03:03 AM
You might also want to consider buying from Mim.
She sells Pono, too. The ukulele that I bought from her is the best set up of any of my ukuleles. We talked about what I liked, and she did a great job.

Definitely! That's where I look first.

frets alot
02-02-2019, 04:31 AM
Definitely! That's where I look first.

No longer carrying Pono's, but worth checking out the others she carries.

Joyful Uke
02-02-2019, 09:43 AM
No longer carrying Pono's, but worth checking out the others she carries.

I interpreted that to mean that she is out of stock, (sold the last one that she had), but doesn't necessarily mean that she won't be getting more in stock. Maybe I interpreted that wrong, though.

That might be worth clarifying. If she'll continue to carry Pono but is simply out of stock, it would be unfortunate for people to think that she is no longer a dealer for them.

But, I don't know which interpretation is correct.

frets alot
02-02-2019, 10:32 AM
I interpreted that to mean that she is out of stock, (sold the last one that she had), but doesn't necessarily mean that she won't be getting more in stock. Maybe I interpreted that wrong, though.

That might be worth clarifying. If she'll continue to carry Pono but is simply out of stock, it would be unfortunate for people to think that she is no longer a dealer for them.

But, I don't know which interpretation is correct.
I may have misinterpreted that too. I will check to be sure. Thanks.

UkerDanno
02-02-2019, 02:00 PM
^^^ I take it as...she's not carrying Pono anymore.:rolleyes:

Joyful Uke
02-02-2019, 03:14 PM
^^^ I take it as...she's not carrying Pono anymore.:rolleyes:

I hope someone verifies that, since to me it could simply mean out of stock. That doesn't make me right, though.

bellgamin
02-02-2019, 09:14 PM
I live on Oahu so I am a bit more familiar with HMS than with other dealers.

HMS (http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-market.html) has the broadest selection of Pono's, and a goodly selection of Kalas, as well as several other uke brands.

The HMS website gives very detailed specifications on every uke they sell. Also, almost every listing for each indiviual uke offers a sound demonstration by an expert player. Their sound samples are completely dry with no added reverb or compression.

In the past I have bought 2 ukes from Mim -- a Kala baritone & an Ohana long-neck concert. Both were superbly set-up, in pristine condition, with speedy delivery to Hawaii.

Uke Republic
02-07-2019, 12:07 PM

Hi - Mike here from Uke Republic,
I just wanted to let you know that yes, we do a full - Pro set up on everything we ship out. Both Pono and Kala make some excellent baritones. The Pono stock has gotten a little low since Koolau their parent company, has ran out of a few models but according to John the owner, more are due in March/April. They will have some sweet thin body mango baritones coming in natural, charcoal, blue and red translucent stains.
Kala will have some new solid spruce top models with both ebony and exotic mahogany back and sides coming out late spring. Plenty of other Kala models available.

Cliff E
02-07-2019, 03:18 PM
I've had great experiences with HMS and Mike at the Uke Republic. It's consoling to know that they will both take good care of their customers (and their customer's ukes).