HMS and Uke Republic

frets alot

Reaction score
I've purchased all my ukes from my local music store. I'm considering my next purchase from HMS or UR. I pretty sure either would be just fine, but just checking. I understand HMS does a full set-up. Does UR also do full set-ups? Thoughts on either/both store/s?
Any other store to consider (I'm leaning Pono or Kala)?

Last edited:
You might also want to consider buying from Mim.
She sells Pono, too. The ukulele that I bought from her is the best set up of any of my ukuleles. We talked about what I liked, and she did a great job.

Mim, Uke Republic and Elderly Instruments do a full set-up. I have purchased a uke from both Uke Republic and Mim with good results. I haven't purchased from Elderly thus far, but I've had good communication from them when I had questions about ukes they had for sale.

Mike and Donna at UR do Great Setups. I’ve bought from all three and UR did the best setups and offered the best service. I would go with UR.

Tom

Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked.
In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.

I think you'll find the best selection at HMS/The Ukulele Site, as Mim mentioned; and I agree with Mim about the Opio option. I've been happy buying from Mim, and from HMS.

Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked.
In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.

Is there an Opio baritone?

I have had a great experience with all three. The Ukulele Site has been very good with their customer service, UkeRepublic had quick, quality service, and Elderly had a great price on a book I bought. I have never worked with Mim (sorry Mim, maybe someday). Sounds like any one of these should be able help you. Hope you find your perfect uke!

Is there an Opio baritone?

Oh, doh, Baritone.
Yeah either Kala or Pono are really great on Baritones due to them having a truss rod. But my Baritone selection is quite thin.
If you are leaning towards Baritone Pono hit up the Ukulele Site. I like the Pono Baritones a lot.

Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked. In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.

Mim, does this mean you won't be carrying Pono any more? Just curious.

I've bought from both Mim and UR. I was very happy with both. I would say that I liked the setup better on the one from Mim, but only fractionally. They were both great! You can't go wrong with either one.

I have bought from Mim, Uke Republic, Elderly, and HMS, and was completely satisfied with the setup work from all four. (Normally I request a medium-low action, but not, as Mim would say, "crazy low".)

I've purchased tenor Ponos from Uke Republic, MimsUkes and TheUkuleleSite. I requested a slightly lower action to help my slightly arthritic hand to easier barre the first fret and use plain Low-G Fluoro strings. All three came through brilliantly with perfect, slightly lowered setups. With level frets and great intonation. The strings were usually from Worth and most recently Ko'olau.

I have never had the opportunity to buy through Elderly.

I would also recommend looking at Opio ukuleles as well. I don't think HMS handles anything except the higher-end Kala Elite models. They stated that due to high volume of sales, they couldn't carry the lower priced models for now. They do stock them in their stores.

Best of luck.

I've purchased all my ukes from my local music store. I'm considering my next purchase from HMS or UR. I pretty sure either would be just fine, but just checking. I understand HMS does a full set-up. Does UR also do full set-ups? Thoughts on either/both store/s?
Any other store to consider (I'm leaning Pono or Kala)?

I just purchased from The Ukulele Site. I highly recommend.

You might also want to consider buying from Mim.
She sells Pono, too. The ukulele that I bought from her is the best set up of any of my ukuleles. We talked about what I liked, and she did a great job.

Definitely! That's where I look first.

Definitely! That's where I look first.

No longer carrying Pono's, but worth checking out the others she carries.

No longer carrying Pono's, but worth checking out the others she carries.

I interpreted that to mean that she is out of stock, (sold the last one that she had), but doesn't necessarily mean that she won't be getting more in stock. Maybe I interpreted that wrong, though.

That might be worth clarifying. If she'll continue to carry Pono but is simply out of stock, it would be unfortunate for people to think that she is no longer a dealer for them.

But, I don't know which interpretation is correct.

I interpreted that to mean that she is out of stock, (sold the last one that she had), but doesn't necessarily mean that she won't be getting more in stock. Maybe I interpreted that wrong, though.

That might be worth clarifying. If she'll continue to carry Pono but is simply out of stock, it would be unfortunate for people to think that she is no longer a dealer for them.

But, I don't know which interpretation is correct.
I may have misinterpreted that too. I will check to be sure. Thanks.

Top Bottom