Pono master series torrefied spruce top acacia tenor

scubavet

Reaction score
The ukesite would know better than anyone

I just bought a Pono Mahogany/Cedar MTSH-C-MS from the Ukulelesite.com I don't think there is any plan for them to be released again.

I noticed on a listing for a Pono Mahogany/Cedar PC that it is virtually identical to the Masters one except for the armrest and the rosette.

One thing about the listings on TheUkuleleSite listings, unless it clearly states that the ukulele shown in the photos and/or the video is the same one being sold, it will be different. You have to ask them to take some photos of the exact one that is for sale. The Masters Ponos could be quite different looking from the ones they were actually offering. The construction was the same, but the grain and looks of the woods varied. For a $1200 tenor, I thought they could do better.

This is a question that really only the guys from Pono or HMS can answer (both companies are closely related to each other).

The Master Series was marketed as a limited edition run, and they might have mentioned that they wouldn't make another run (not sure if I remember that correctly). However, I see no reason why they wouldn't bring it back if they see enough popular demand. My own personal hope was that they would use the features of the Master Series (side sound port, armbevel) to other sizes in their lineup, especially to their UL4N big baritone, as a beveled armrest would be particularly useful on a bigger instrument.

I did contact both, and Pono referred me to HMS which said maybe sometime in 2019. Was hoping someone had more info.
From their website I assumed they would produce some more.

"This was the only Acacia Master Series to have a torrefied spruce top.This adds a power and depth to this ukulele and it really projects! I'm sure we'll do custom runs in the future but this limited edition master series from Pono, and this instrument in particular will always be special. So smooth and stylish, and such a great feel and tone."

I did contact both, and Pono referred me to HMS which said maybe sometime in 2019. Was hoping someone had more info.
From their website I assumed they would produce some more.

"This was the only Acacia Master Series to have a torrefied spruce top.This adds a power and depth to this ukulele and it really projects! I'm sure we'll do custom runs in the future but this limited edition master series from Pono, and this instrument in particular will always be special. So smooth and stylish, and such a great feel and tone."

I must confess ... I was the original buyer of this exact Pono Master Series Acacia/Torrefied Spuce tenor and it is a FANTASTIC instrument with so many custom options at a ridiculously affordable price! Unfortunately, against my better judgement, I traded it in on a purchase of 3 custom and semi-custom tenors from Andrew at HMS/The Ukulele Site. I regret letting this uke go.:wallbash: It is a CANNON and sounds AMAZING for the price! I would have purchased the Pono Master Series Macassar Ebony/Torrefied Spruce tenor if only it had Koa binding instead of Maple binding. Just my personal preference.

If the current owner of this Pono Master Series Acacia/Torrefied Spruce tenor sees this Thread, I've got 1st dibs on it should you ever decide to re-home it!

:shaka:

Last edited:
I must confess ... I was the original buyer of this exact Pono Master Series Acacia/Torrefied Spuce tenor and it is a FANTASTIC instrument with so many custom options at a ridiculously affordable price! Unfortunately, against my better judgement, I traded it in on a purchase of custom and semi-custom tenors from Andrew at HMS/The Ukulele Site. I regret letting this uke go. It is a CANNON and sounds AMAZING for the price! I would have purchased the Pono Master Series Macassar Ebony/Torrefied Spruce tenor if only it had Koa binding instead of Maple binding. Just my personal preference.

If the current owner of this Pono Master Series Acacia/Torrefied Spruce tenor sees this Thread, I've got 1st dibs on it should you ever decide to re-home it!

This makes my heart sad to read this Bruddah, Kimo!

Sounds like it is coming back home to you ... and you will need to sell something to me to make it happen!

:agree::iwant::shaka:

Top Bottom