Anyone try the new Oasis baritone strings?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Just noticed Elderly showing they’ve recently started carrying Oasis UKE-8200B ... all fluorocarbon baritone strings. Didn’t realize Oasis had put together a baritone set. I really like their tenor strings. But I’m concerned the new baritone set (DGBE linear) doesn’t have wound 3 or 4 strings. Has anyone tried them?

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/149253/s/oasis-uke-8200b-baritone-ukulele-string-set-all-plain-fluorocarbon/

Just recently tried Living Water all fluorocarbon baritone strings. Nice, but I miss having a wound 4th.

Thanks for pointing out this new set, Hodge! Now I'm curious about it too. I'm glad to see another option with all non-wound strings. What I normally do is try the whole set and when I find that I don't like the sound or feel of the unwound fourth (and possibly third) string, I can always exchange that for a single wound string.

I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but has anyone else tried the Oasis 8101SW set on a baritone? A few days ago, I put them on a 20" baritone tuned in G with a low D. The result is surprising good. The tension is moderate and the tone is very sweet. Though I haven't yet tried it, they would probably be pretty good tuned up a notch or so. Hodge, this is one way to get a single wound low D. The diameters of the fluoros is slightly less than those in the 8200B set but that doesn't mean much unless they are made of the same material.

These are available at:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis...-warm-low-g-pb-smooth-wound-double-15209.html

Interesting. I know flouros can vary in density so comparison of diameters can be tricky. But I do find this interesting:
Oasis: .62 / .74 / .81 / .91
Living Water: .62 / .74 / .91 / 1.02

I like the LW low-D set though that fat 4th string does come with some caveats. If the Oasis achieves the thinner string without it being too much higher tension, that could be a very good combination. Somebody must try this set!

To David's question, that's also interesting. I don't have that set on a bari but I have the high G set as part of a 17" guilele set where it is tuned down to Bb. So I can definitely believe that would work as a G tuning on 20" bari. And should work at A tuning as well.

Last edited:
I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but has anyone else tried the Oasis 8101SW set on a baritone? A few days ago, I put them on a 20" baritone tuned in G with a low D. The result is surprising good. The tension is moderate and the tone is very sweet. Though I haven't yet tried it, they would probably be pretty good tuned up a notch or so. Hodge, this is one way to get a single wound low D. The diameters of the fluoros is slightly less than those in the 8200B set but that doesn't mean much unless they are made of the same material.

These are available at:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis...-warm-low-g-pb-smooth-wound-double-15209.html

Excellent idea, David. The .033” Oasis Smooth wound 4th is definitely worth a try as low D. Those are even available as individual strings.

... ...To David's question, that's also interesting. I don't have that set on a bari but I have the high G set as part of a 17" guilele set where it is tuned down to Bb. So I can definitely believe that would work as a G tuning on 20" bari. And should work at A tuning as well.
"A" tuning -- that's me! I just bought a set, based on this thread, thanks to David & Jim.

Shazam!

Top Bottom