6 string Kamaka

fowl

Reaction score
On Hawaii 5-0 last night the character Flippa was playing a Kamaka that had 6 strings.
Could someone tell me how those are usually tuned?

Usually, High g, high c, low c, e, high a low a. The c and a strings are strung as one course each

This tuning would make the A string the lowest pitch?

If so, that is interesting. Thus far I have only dealt with high g tuning, where the C string is the lowest, and low g tuning, where the G string is the lowest.

It would be weird with the A string low. Each of the chord shapes would have a new inverted voicing.

Last edited:
There are not only tenors but also 6 string concerts in Kamaka.

So are the added C and A strings in this tuning both an octave lower in pitch, then, than their traditional counterparts?

A visual evaluation of string gauges in the pictures that were linked above(https://themusicemporium.com/ukulele...6-string-tenor) led me to believe a C string was added one octave higher than traditional tuning and an A string was added one octave lower than in traditional tuning. The two strings in the third course appear one thicker and one thinner than the string in the fourth course, suggesting that a new "high C" was added. Likewise, the two strings in the first course appear to straddle the thickness of the string in the second course, suggesting a new "low A" was added. This tuning would make low A the lowest pitched string.

So are the added C and A strings in this tuning both an octave lower in pitch, then, than their traditional counterparts?

A visual evaluation of string gauges in the pictures that were linked above(https://themusicemporium.com/ukulele...6-string-tenor) led me to believe a C string was added one octave higher than traditional tuning and an A string was added one octave lower than in traditional tuning. The two strings in the third course appear one thicker and one thinner than the string in the fourth course, suggesting that a new "high C" was added. Likewise, the two strings in the first course appear to straddle the thickness of the string in the second course, suggesting a new "low A" was added. This tuning would make low A the lowest pitched string.

No, the C is an octave higher so is the highest string, and the A is an octave lower so is the lowest string. Some people also use alternative stringing, for example with a low G and the As in unison is popular. But with a Kamaka I find that low G too boomy.

No, the C is an octave higher so is the highest string, and the A is an octave lower so is the lowest string.

That had been my original assumption. Intriguing. I must find a uke tuned this way and try it out.

Last edited:
I have a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday tuned this way - octave A & C strings. I also tried a Low G but went back to a high G as it was “too much” sound for me. If there’s a combination I’ve tried it. Good to read someone else’s take on the 6 string uke.

I have also seen 6-strings that are a 1 G string, Octave C strings (one high, one low), 1 E string, and 2 A strings both tuned to standard to reinforce the sound of the A notes on the uke.

How hard is a 6 string on a beginner. Is it ill advised to begin on a 6 string.

How hard is a 6 string on a beginner. Is it ill advised to begin on a 6 string.

I wouldn't advise anyone to have a 6-string as their only uke, let alone a beginner. A ukulele with a low-G string is probably the most versatile as you can use it for both strumming and picking, if you go re-entrant it will slightly reduce the number of songs as you don't have a strong root option, and with a 6-string there are even further limitations as not everything will sound decent. So yeah get a six string when you already have a bunch of four strings and you just want to add some extra oomph to some songs, or if you perform a lot of hula music.

Top Bottom