K-2 nud

Kibes37

Reaction score
Kanile’a Concert K-2 Premium.

I’ve mentioned in another thread I sold my prize guitar within a week of discovering the Ukulele. I picked up a Kala CEM after my wife ordered an Amahi Pineapple. Which, I’m quite impressed with on a side note. Anyhow, after playing my Kala (took the week off work) for a week nonstop, I knew what I had stumbled upon. I sold my Seagull Guitar, ordered this Kanile’a and never looked back. I never felt this way about the guitar. Love the portability and comfort of a Concert Uke. Many thanks to the guitar days for accelerating my Ukulele blast off.

The K-2 is magical. From the sweet, soothing balanced tones to the balanced weight distribution. When I was practicing fretting and scales on the Kala I was imagining how much more enjoyable it would be on a Kanile’a neck. I manifested correctly.

I know tones are really what should matter, but the physical beauty and craftsmanship does allow me to dive deeper into each session.
Strumming is smooth and well-rounded. I doubt the volume output is elite. May be better with a silk finish. Wouldn’t be surprised.

All in all I’m extremely pleased. Can’t wait to grow for many years with my new companion.

Also, thanks to the Ukulele Site. Corey and everyone I dealt with were super nice and helpful. I will definitely being doing business with them again. I like their website, transparency and setup process very much. Hope to visit in person soon.

Thanks for checking my NUD. Great community.

P.s. I love my Kala. It’s my workhorse. No disrespect for the brand. I know they make much nicer models that compete with the K’s. I just needed the Hawaiian style. I will be looking for a my mid level Uke later. Maybe a Kala... Maybe a Martin.

Attachments

• D43413CB-2796-4411-B5A1-48F23265EA41.jpg
    D43413CB-2796-4411-B5A1-48F23265EA41.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 89
  • C69F03BA-5336-4626-A9D5-027C1D9E7713.jpg
    C69F03BA-5336-4626-A9D5-027C1D9E7713.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 70
  • D7AA60A1-9515-48A9-8F37-8D5255C0C3F9.jpg
    D7AA60A1-9515-48A9-8F37-8D5255C0C3F9.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 8DE82075-0F10-4359-9127-4634CE0DC5C4.jpg
    8DE82075-0F10-4359-9127-4634CE0DC5C4.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 09E1440C-61A6-4C08-8D8D-D739B58B0B14.jpg
    09E1440C-61A6-4C08-8D8D-D739B58B0B14.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Congratulations to your new ukulele, and to a very well written NUD! You got yourself a real treasure and won't need to upgrade (or sidewind) to another uke. I have owned Kanilea models in all types of their finishes and didn't find the gloss to be more quiet than silk or satin. If anything, I'd say gloss is more focussed.

Enjoy it!

Lovely K2. Decidedly premium-looking wood. What made you choose a concert size for your ukes?

Lovely K2. Decidedly premium-looking wood. What made you choose a concert size for your ukes?

I really like the portability. Even at home. Its obviously good to practice proper form, but I sit in all types of chairs and positions.

Playing in the car is a plus.

Maintaining an authentic sound.

Ironically guitars look huge and ridiculous now. I used to think Ukes were the comical ones. Uke goggles.

Wow, that's a beauty! You've got a great musical journey going on there too. I hope you enjoy that uke for a long time, very special. I'd love to see/hear a video of that one!

Thanks. I’ll post some YouTube videos soon.

Congratulations to your new ukulele, and to a very well written NUD! You got yourself a real treasure and won't need to upgrade (or sidewind) to another uke. I have owned Kanilea models in all types of their finishes and didn't find the gloss to be more quiet than silk or satin. If anything, I'd say gloss is more focussed.

Enjoy it!

Well put. I like “focused”

Congratulations, I enjoyed reading your NUD and your uke journey. There is something special and authentic about a Hawaiian built koa ukulele. Yours is a beauty with gorgeous curly koa. If you were to compare this to a similar quality guitar that 6 string instrument would be 6 -7 thousand dollars. Well done and welcome to the obsession

CONGRATS on and thanks for sharing your NUD :)

The wood grain almost looks like it was dipped in molasses or maple syrup, and I bet it has a tone to match!

I would love it if you had the time and means to share a video/sound sample, but I totally understand if you are too busy enjoying the newness of it all...so no worries if it does not happen.

It's a beautiful uke! Looks like a great choice. Looking forward to hearing it. Congrats!

Very nice! ... I too started out on a Kala CEM, saw another guy on here recently that had a CEM, then a Kanile'a, we should start a club! :shaka:

(actually, the CEM was my second)...

Very nice! ... I too started out on a Kala CEM, saw another guy on here recently that had a CEM, then a Kanile'a, we should start a club! :shaka:

(actually, the CEM was my second)...

Ha, nice. You like those Living Water strings, huh? Next set I’m trying. Have a good one.

Ha, nice. You like those Living Water strings, huh? Next set I’m trying. Have a good one.

Yes, I tried several strings on my Kanile'a when I first got it, different types of Aquilas, Martins and Worth, finally settled on Living Water.

Here is a sound sample, if you can stand my rookie play...

Last edited:
A great story and a beautiful uke. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice. I love dark koa. I use Living Water strings on my K1 concert too, but Worth on my K1 tenor.

Lovely looking K-2. Nice crisp sound from your playing.

I have two K-1 tenors. One has Low-G Living Waters and the other has Low-G Worth Browns. I prefer non-wound fluorocarbon strings.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Top Bottom