Pick Guard Material

Ughh.. Kmise...

Irrespective of the brand - never really seen the point of a pick guard on a ukulele. Their tops are small as it is and the last thing I want is something on them killing the resonance even more.

I bought a koa MyaMoe tenor with one already on it. I almost didn't do it, but I was assured it does come off, but take it to a luthier to do it. Also, a luthier installed it. I don't think it deadened the sound at all, or at least not much, if any. The seller also stated that there were 5 others in his playing group that all had them installed on their expensive MyaMoes. It still has power, resonance, and sustain and is very musical. I don't have a before and after comparison though.

Ukuleles I would definitely install one on, are a soft spruce top with a very light satin (open pore) or an oil finish. I looked at a 10 year old used ukulele last year, whose spruce top was chewed to heck from playing. Some I assume was done by a pick, but the finger-strum marks were pretty deep as well. That otherwise lovely ukulele could have used a guard.

Ughh.. Kmise...

Irrespective of the brand - never really seen the point of a pick guard on a ukulele. Their tops are small as it is and the last thing I want is something on them killing the resonance even more.

I have an I'iwi tenor which is a custom build by Charlie Fukuba, HMS sells them. Mine has a redwood top and it has a clear mylar "pick guard". It is still one of the most resonant, rich, complex sounding uke I have owned. Stacked up against the likes of Kinnard, Mya Moe, Compass Rose, Koolau, Pono, Kamaka, Koaloha, etc. etc. You get the idea. The covering starts just above the bridge goes all the way to the top and complete coverage from side to side.

20160704_223453.jpg

I only have a few ukes with pickguards on them. Not for every uke, but it can really sweeten the deal. 72D6D349-7BFA-4D6B-88BD-BAA2FCE2FC55.jpg

Top Bottom