How to bend a bended neck back - tip from a Luthier

Mr. B

Reaction score
The other day I've been to see a Luthier as my Famous FS-1 has/had a slight buzzing.
Instead of taking a lot of money from me, he told me I should try it this way (see pictures) first. He told me exactly in which fret to put the little wooden piece, as there is the place where the neck has a minimal bent.
I found it a very interesting idea so I thought I would share my/this experience here with you.

Just in case: please do not do this to your instruments/ukuleles. I don't want anyone to break anything.

Attachments

• uke 1.jpg
    uke 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 84
  • uke 2.jpg
    uke 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 64
  • uke 4.jpg
    uke 4.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 61
  • uke 3.jpg
    uke 3.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 62
How long before you can tell if it was successful? Good luck!

bratsche

He (the Luthier) told me to start with a couple of days and go longer afterwards if needed. I took that literally and did it for 2 days for a starter.
It did get already better (I can not really hear any buzzing anymore for now - I think so at least, lol).
I will repeat the procedure if needed, but I am actually already quite satisfied.

Very nice. I’m surprised that it only took a couple days to see any movement, especially without any steam or anything else.

Did the luthier mention anything about the possibility of frets coming loose? I have read that when a neck is back bowed the fret tang slots can slightly open. If that happens to a couple of frets, a wider tang might be needed, which may be good as it can help to keep the neck from bowing back. Great job!

John

Very nice. I’m surprised that it only took a couple days to see any movement, especially without any steam or anything else.

Did the luthier mention anything about the possibility of frets coming loose? I have read that when a neck is back bowed the fret tang slots can slightly open. If that happens to a couple of frets, a wider tang might be needed, which may be good as it can help to keep the neck from bowing back. Great job!

John

I am surprised myself as well. But I really think it is better/away.
And no, he did not mention that frets could come loose. You should have seen my face when I have read your thread a second ago! :wtf:, LOL
Thank you for the information, John.

I've used a similar arrangement on a couple of guitars, but I used a domestic electric iron (as for clothes) to warm everything. The straightening literally took a few minutes to notice a difference but I left things to cool overnight and "take a set" before removing the clamps.

That was several years ago and the instruments so treated are still perfectly playable. I suspect they'd both been left in the sun for an extended period of time, but as they were free I didn't ask ;)

I am surprised myself as well. But I really think it is better/away.
And no, he did not mention that frets could come loose. You should have seen my face when I have read your thread a second ago! :wtf:, LOL
Thank you for the information, John.

But.. if I'm reading your pics correctly, you're trying to bend more relief into the neck, not trying to give it more back bow. If anything, your frets will get tighter in their slots as you're compressing the fretboard, not bending it backwards.

But.. if I'm reading your pics correctly, you're trying to bend more relief into the neck, not trying to give it more back bow. If anything, your frets will get tighter in their slots as you're compressing the fretboard, not bending it backwards.

Now that you say it - of course you are right, I am bending it to the front so by logic the frets shall get tighter in their slots!
Thank you for pointing that out! Stupid me! :wallbash:

I've used a similar arrangement on a couple of guitars, but I used a domestic electric iron (as for clothes) to warm everything. The straightening literally took a few minutes to notice a difference but I left things to cool overnight and "take a set" before removing the clamps.

That was several years ago and the instruments so treated are still perfectly playable. I suspect they'd both been left in the sun for an extended period of time, but as they were free I didn't ask ;)

"Domestic electric iron" - wow! :cool:
And I thought the invention of that luthier was interesting! :D

Now that you say it - of course you are right, I am bending it to the front so by logic the frets shall get tighter in their slots!
Thank you for pointing that out! Stupid me! :wallbash:

Actually I’m the stupid one for my post. My thought was the neck was convex, but I then tried to act out the movement and reversed my thoughts.

John

Actually I’m the stupid one for my post. My thought was the neck was convex, but I then tried to act out the movement and reversed my thoughts.

John

Well, there are bright days and not so bright ones.
Yesterday wasn't our brightest. LOL

Top Bottom