Good find or...not so good?

bonesigh

Reaction score
Local auction 46 bucks. Was it worth it? Sounds nice even with old strings, one missing but I think the uke emanated happiness upon playing Tip Toe, lol.

Don’t see much info out there on this baritone by Aria, made in Japan, date ??

Dusty pics but think it will look pretty nice when spruced up. Fretboard is pretty. Intonation very good to the 11th then needs some tweaking.
5C111D19-358D-4780-AFD1-A41FD0E60E34.jpgC22B696C-C4ED-4263-ADEA-2A8BCA535054.jpg6FAA0856-DD62-463C-9057-D6CEC0423676.jpgEE793CED-5983-4666-99D8-B141658A82F0.jpg

After a search, I only found another thread on UU (assuming yours is A-78? Can't quite tell from the pic and I'm not familiar with them) and there's some nice info in there - might be from the '60s?. Looks like they paid just about twice as much for it.

A good find, I reckon. Can't wait to see it with the cobwebs swept up.

Don’t know anything about their ukuleles, but their classical and electric guitars are decent. Typically, Aria made guitars that imitated other brands, especially their electrics. I think they had some Fender/Gibson lawsuit issues that most import brands had in the 70’s. But for less than $50, how can you go wrong?

John

my first guitar was an Aria dreadnought... maybe 1973. Not personally familiar with their ukes but...

I have had Aria guitars electric (totally great) , and Aria acoustics( fair) and I still have a Aria short scale bass ( super) . All good to great and especially great considering the price. My mid seventies short scale bass was bought off eBay and for 6 months the owner hounded me to sell it back to him. I did not, though I think I could let it go now. There is no shame in owing a Aria, especially if you only paid $50 for it.

Local auction 46 bucks. Was it worth it? Sounds nice even with old strings, one missing but I think the uke emanated happiness upon playing Tip Toe, lol.

Don’t see much info out there on this baritone by Aria, made in Japan, date ??

Dusty pics but think it will look pretty nice when spruced up. Fretboard is pretty. Intonation very good to the 11th then needs some tweaking.
View attachment 115400View attachment 115401View attachment 115403View attachment 115404

AND you are going to fix it up so it can sing again! Sounds like a good deal to me! :)

I had an Aria guitar when I was a kid. I never learned to play it, but that wasn't the guitar's fault. But if memory serves me right, my mother bought it for me out of the Montgomery Wards catalog.

Thanks all.
Spice...the UU post was all the info could find too except for Aria mostly making guitars.
I’ll get her polished up and a playin’ again. Probably end up selling her for I have way too many and need to gather funds for my kids trip to Europe with her art class. She’s crazy good at any art that comes her way....maybe I should get her to paint something special on this one!

When I was in high school (early 70's) I bought a small Aria guitar from someone - it was nice. I wish I knew what happened to it...

In the late 70's, I bought an Aria baritone uke from Rochester House Of Guitars. An impulse buy, never really played it, didn't have a case or bag. I just hung it in a bedroom for years. When I started playing uke, I sent to to Tudorp to see if he could do anything with it (he was fixing ukes up, and giving them to kids) but it was a basket case - twisted neck, not worth repairing. I think he used some parts, and made the rest into either a bird's nest, or a bird feeder.

Check the neck carefully. If it is straight, grab that sucker!

Top Bottom