Music stands

jnorris235

Reaction score
I have a huge problem unfolding and folding the usual music stands. Maybe mine is a bad one or I’m useless at origami. And I don’t want to lug around one of the sturdy but heavy ones.
Am I alone :(

They can be a struggle to set up. I leave the one I current use, set up in a corner. It’s not very heavy, and would fold up rather small. The book shelf is barebone, there are much larger and heavier stands than what
I use.

Yes, I have a cheapie folding music stand that fights me. I got three of them for $14 at the pawnshop. But those cheapies fold up small, they are light, and I'm willing to do a bit of battle not to carry a bigger piece of equipment with me. I think that it comes with the territory.

Though designed for mountain dulcimer players, I use these for most of my playing. Just open or close, handy to carry, with the over the shoulder strap, and a place for pens, tuners, books, etc. I have 2.
http://www.dulcimerbaglady.com/musicstands.htm

The other thing I like about them is when I'm performing or playing for others, I'm not hiding behind a stand. They can see me and my instrument. They travel to festivals with me too. Comes in many different colors.

Last edited:
I don’t use paper anymore but years ago when I did, I liked the Peak music stand and I still do. It’s lightweight but has sturdy tripod legs. The desk top folds up small, but is sturdy with a wide shelf and a nice travel bag w/ strap to boot. What more could you want?
Second fav is the heavy duty K&M folding stand. A bit of a learning curve folding/unfolding but very sturdy and stable for a lighter weight stand with a decent shelf but also super portable.

Last edited:
I use the same Hamilton folding music stand that my parents got me at Groth Music when I first joined grade school orchestra over 50 years ago. You can still get the identical stand for about $15 and it will probably last your entire life, too. It's lightweight, deceptively rugged, and does what it's supposed to do.

I have a huge problem unfolding and folding the usual music stands. Maybe mine is a bad one or I’m useless at origami. And I don’t want to lug around one of the sturdy but heavy ones.
Am I alone :(

No, you’re not alone, but most folk forget how they struggled at some point in the past. These days I put up and take down stands without thinking about it - literally years of practice helps - and then some stand designs open slightly easier than others.

The video link posted by Sailing Uke is helpful and illustrates quite well how the upper part on most stands collapses. One of my stands works like that but I also have a more expensive Hercules BS100B type stand, of a different design, that’s easier to use and very durable, £22, https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind...MI7I7Aupip4AIVa77tCh2eZQd8EAQYASABEgKWSfD_BwE .

Should anyone be planning to buy a stand just be aware that maximum music height positioning and stability can become important. Sometimes I play outside where a slight breeze can topple a stand, so for stability buy one with longer rather than shorter legs. Sometimes I play standing up so check to see how tall the maximum music support ‘ledge’ hieght is.

Last edited:
I get along fine with my spindly little folding stand. I'm not looking for a more elaborate replacement. Yes, sometimes if fights me, but I eventually win. I mostly use my stand to hold my Kindle. I also hang my uke from it sometimes when I'm not playing. Occasionally I might have some paper or a folder, but not usually. I have a five pound weight that I tie up to the shaft with para chord that hangs below the tripod legs to give it more stability and I carry that with me often if I'm driving somewhere to play. But much of my busking is done in a place where I have to walk a ways, and I like to keep it a light load, so I leave the weight behind. Also I tend to hit the bars on the way back after I'm done, and I don't need to be hauling that extra weight around. So I have two places that I play, one where the wind blows pretty good. I got a brick that I found one time stashed over there and I just use that instead for weight. It works well and I just leave it there. I have also taken a half inch pine board, two inches wide, and the length of the shelf. I ran it through my table saw and put a grove in the edge the depth of the shelf, I can slip that over the shelf on the stand and that adds some stability without a lot of extra weigh and the bulk fits into the nylon pouch that I use to carry the stand . So the way I have it set up, it works quite well and takes up hardly any space. I'll post a picture if I can

Last edited:
It sounds like your bags are still usable. Ours are covered in duct tape covering holes that have woren through. We usually put regular stand and iPad stand in a bag and whatever. Might account for the holes. Any idea where I can buy a bag without the stand? Some stands never seem to get as small as necessary to get back in a bag they came in.

Can't you sew one? I bet you could make a beautiful quilted one, or just something functional.
It sounds like your bags are still usable. Ours are covered in duct tape covering holes that have woren through. We usually put regular stand and iPad stand in a bag and whatever. Might account for the holes. Any idea where I can buy a bag without the stand? Some stands never seem to get as small as necessary to get back in a bag they came in.

Pant legs work well to make bags. Get someone to sew on end shut, tie the other.

Some are awful, and some are very nice. I have several. I'll see if I can find the one I like.

This one is very good. Several in our group have them.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBD47CS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my favorite. Again, several in our group have them. What's nice is that they don't come apart. Just loosen the thumbscrews and extend it. It comes in a nice case.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LTVMG8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also buy nice cases online. Look for tripod cases.

As I like to play out I needed a portable and sturdy stand. After reading many reviews I bought a Hercules BS118BB which is great. It opens and closes quite easily, has stable adjustments, is small and lightweight, and definitely not as flimsy as many of the other portable stands. I even use it outdoors and it can handle moderate wind gusts and is not easily knocked over. After about four years of use it does not show signs of wear, even though I take it out about twice per week. The included bag is handy, but is starting to fall apart.

https://reverb.com/ca/p/hercules-bs118bb-3-section-ez-grip-music-stand-w-slash-bag

Well, yes I could sew a bag, customized out of a durable fabric but a jeans’ pant leg will be perfect and easy to lug around. I’m thinking shoulder strap. Thanks!

I don’t use paper anymore but years ago when I did, I liked the Peak music stand and I still do. It’s lightweight but has sturdy tripod legs. The desk top folds up small, but is sturdy with a wide shelf and a nice travel bag w/ strap to boot. What more could you want?

Like you, I have everything on my tablet, but the Peak stands are great, very sturdy, hold 2-3 100 page books, easy to fold up and carry in it's own bag.
If you see a lower price, musiciansfriend will match...
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/peak-music-stands-portable-music-stand

Great thread! I've been looking to join a group and need one to throw into the milkcrate on the back of my moped!

We usually put regular stand and iPad stand in a bag and whatever. Might account for the holes. Any idea where I can buy a bag without the stand? Some stands never seem to get as small as necessary to get back in a bag they came in.

A Tip: When you buy something pointy that has to fit into a so-so bag, put some duct tape inside the bag.

Yes, it is almost comical how many bags and boxes seem just a tad too small to hold what's supposed to go inside. I bought a tripod and changed the head, so I had to buy a larger bag.

Top Bottom