Head &Taill Blocks shaping for a 14º back

Steve-atl

Reaction score
So I have my sides bent and the Head &Taill Blocks made and am getting close to gluing them up.

The plans call for material to be removed to accommodate the 14º radius of the back. I drew a line that should represent the 14º. This seems like a lot of wood to remove on the radius dish.

What's the best way to remove this wood and keep the angle correct

As always thank you all so much

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 1.47.37 PM.jpg

It really depends on how much difference there is between the depth of the body at the tail block and neck block on what that angle will be.

On my instruments it's a 2 degree angle and I cut it on my table saw. It's then refined in the radius dish after everything is glued in place.

What's a 14 degree radius? ..radius is usually a linear dimension e.g. 14 foot ....looks like you need a radius dish.:)

Yes 14 foot :) now go back to your rocking chair :)

It really depends on how much difference there is between the depth of the body at the tail block and neck block on what that angle will be.

On my instruments it's a 2 degree angle and I cut it on my table saw. It's then refined in the radius dish after everything is glued in place.

I guess I can make some test cuts and then test them on the Radius Dish to see if I am close. That's a good idea thanks

Ukes look more graceful if they are shallower at the neck than at the butt. The degree of difference doesn't matter much to the tone. As long as you completely sand out the ribs in your radius dish you shouldn't have to measure anything. The back will fit.

Top Bottom