I bought a Kanile'a Platinum 2016 really "cheap", now I need your help

Ukujiji

Reaction score
Aloha, UU members. I've been playing baritone Ukulele for 2.5 months, love it. Last week, I feel like trying something different, so I decided to get a nice tenor. After doing research, I ordered a KoAloha KTM-00 on HMS, turns out I need to pay a 93$ permit fee for having shells on the Uke. The KoAloha Tenor was already on the edge of my budget, I do not want to overpay for it. So I decide to take a tour to local music shop ( Cosmo Music in Toronto, the largest music instrument store in NA). They have a few Kamaka but no tenor size and a tons of Kanile'a in all size. After trying a few Kanile'a basic model, a particular Uke caught my attention. The curl and the finish are breathtakingly beautiful, I didn't dare to look at the price knowing that it is probably 4 times as my budget. But to my surprise, it costed (deleted) after tax. It was a pre-owned Kanile'a Platinum 2016. Fast forwards to today, I ended up buying it, they have a 30 days return/exchange policy and a 90 days warranty, so I really need your expertise to help me determine if there's anything wrong with the Uke.

Here's what I know, the Uke is ordered in 2016, it was not sold until the end of 2018. The previous owner owned it for 6 weeks and ended up trading it in for something else. He didn't full refund because it was over a month.

I did the following check:
( credit to this thread and forum member Choirguy
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...hat-do-I-check-for-when-buying-a-used-ukulele)

1) Check body for cracks : there's no crack.
2) Check body for finish issues: no issues, there isn't any strumming mark.
3) Look for dents/dings: one on the head
Photo 2019-02-06, 14 46 13.jpg
A little dent on the fretboard
Photo 2019-02-06, 13 21 00.jpg
The previous owner was a little rough when installing strings.
Photo 2019-02-06, 13 15 30.jpg
4) Check neck for extreme curvature: no curve
5) When tuned, check that the tuners hold intonation: holds tune
6) If missing strings, insist on strings on the ukulele: checked
7) Check for buzzes on individual strings : no issue
8) Check for buzzes with chords: no issue
9) Check fret ends for sharpness : I was a little disappointed during this step. The first 7-10's fret end looks nice and neat. The last few frets looked a bit messy. Let me know if this is acceptable.
Photo 2019-02-06, 14 45 00.jpgPhoto 2019-02-06, 14 45 11.jpg
10) Observe condition of case: brand new
11) Observe condition of included accessories including extra strings, tuner, humidifiers, string wonders, etc. : checked
12) Do research before seeing the ukulele; know current value, original value...and consider that a used value is often 15%-30% or more off original pricing.
Well, in my case I got it for more than half off retail price, so I can't help but to feel a little skeptical, even though Cosmo Music is very very reputable.
13) And most importantly: ask yourself, does this ukulele make me happy: Yes, Yes and Yes. The Uke sounds like an angel hugging me.

My questions are: Are any of the problems that I mentioned above a deal breaker?
Is there anything else that I could check? Is there any particular parts that you guys want to ckeck in pictures? I'll take pictures for you as soon as I see request.
I can tell that the Ukelele was not humidified in its life, will it affect its play-abilities in the future?
Does 4K's Ukuleles have "meh" resell value or I got a good deal?

This Ukulele is a joy to play, sounds like heaven, looks so stunning. I really wish that there's no serious problems and I can keep it!

What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This Ukulele is a joy to play, sounds like heaven, looks so stunning. I really wish that there's no serious problems and I can keep it!

What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

I know you are trying to play it safe.. but a uke is for playing unless you want to collect it.. you have your answer right there.. getting uke where you get drawn in by the sound is not common and if you do find a uke where the sound is what you want then dont bother with any thing else..

Wow, you got a fantastic uke for a fantastic price! For me, the issues you described would be of no consequence at that price. I have a Kanile'a tenor that I just adore the sound of. It's also quite pretty, but not as pretty as yours. Plus, mine doesn't have the cutout or the arm rest bevel, which I would love to have.

Congratulations!

What kerneltime said is so true. One of the main drivers of UAS is the hunt for a uke that you could say this about:

The Uke sounds like an angel hugging me.

This Ukulele is a joy to play, sounds like heaven, looks so stunning.

Folks buy and sell a lot of ukes looking for what you have apparently already found.

Nice deal, nice uke. If you like it don't worry about small imperfections...…………..most every instrument has some insignificant blemishes.
Congrats!!

Send it to me and I'll try it out for you. Keep it or regret it...your choice.

You are over thinking this. Your uke, you say, looks great and sounds great. No problem. You got a good price but 2nd hand ukes often sell for 50% retail. I bought my Martin T1k for £250 when the retail was about £500. The seller was an IT consultant. He had bought a new Opio and didn't want the Martin and didn't want to waste time.

The only check I don’t see made is intonation. I’d make sure everything is in tune up the neck. I would imagine it will be good, but worth checking.

Everything else is minor.

John

The only check I don’t see made is intonation. I’d make sure everything is in tune up the neck. I would imagine it will be good, but worth checking.

Everything else is minor.

John
If the intonation is not perfect, it might be the strings and for a Kanilea I highly doubt it is the instrument. Even if the intonation is a bit off, it is fixable if the neck is straight, body is structurally sound and the top does not have a crazy belly, fixing it is mostly a nut and saddle adjustment.. if you like how the instrument sounds and plays.. go for it

Thanks guys! I've checked the intonation, the difference between 0 and 12th fret are within 5hz across the four strings. It seems there's no serious issue, I'll learn to love its imperfections. I guess I'm now a proud owner of a sweet Kanile'a tenor!

I didn't take proper photos with my camera because I didn't want to create bounding with it, I might have to let it go. Now that I decide to keep it, I just feel surreal that I am the owner of this instrument. I'll take some sweet photo for it when I got time. Since I can post no more than 5 photos per thread, I'll post them in the new members introduction section.

Thanks again UU members.:D

I am sure there are many players that would love to have a Platinum, with the imperfections you have pointed out, for $1500.

Should you decide that the angels have stopped singing, drop me a line, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

You, my friend, got a deal. Look at it this way, no ukulele is perfect. Most of us dread the first ding we put in our ukes. You got that included, now you only have to worry about the wonderful music you can make with it for years to come. Enjoy.

Intonation at 5 cents is good. As kerneltime stated intonation can change with different strings. Kanilea CNC’s their fretboards so there wasn’t must risk of being off, but it is good to check anyway.

You got a great ukulele. Play it and love it. It will only get better as the years go by.

John

What you point out here would be called very minor, almost unnoticeable. If it were brand new, it would be sold as a "second," probably for more than you paid. Nothing you pointed out would deter me from buying this as a "used" ukulele. On the other hand, some people are fanatical about buying a pristine uke, new or used, so resale would be a concern.

As for the price, $1,500 is on the high side for a uke (in my opinion). Only 13% of my ukuleles cost more than $1,500. Ukulele pricing is somewhat subjective. Basically, you're paying for raw materials and craftsmanship. Producing a special "Platinum" edition and pricing it at $4,000 seems risky, but getting one for $1,500 is a relative bargain.

I'm surprised at the sloppy frets. Maybe that's the result of a lack of humidification. You would think that whoever had possession of a $4,000 uke would take good care of it. If a lack of humidification is the cause, humidifying should be the cure.

You paid a decent price, and it's a beautiful ukulele that you love. Keep it and enjoy it.

As an aside, Lil' Rev has switched from Mya-Moe to Kanile'a.

That explains it..
Hmm.. I wonder if there is any correlation between instrument of choice vs choice of instrument to play..

About Lil' Rev switching, I think the article said it had something to do with his playing style - a change in what or how he plays.

I am sure there are many players that would love to have a Platinum, with the imperfections you have pointed out, for $1500.

Should you decide that the angels have stopped singing, drop me a line, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

You, my friend, got a deal. Look at it this way, no ukulele is perfect. Most of us dread the first ding we put in our ukes. You got that included, now you only have to worry about the wonderful music you can make with it for years to come. Enjoy.

Kenn, if you really want a Platinum tenor, there is a nice looking one, supposedly mint, on eBay now for $1200 BIN, with a cool brown croc case.

1.jpg
3.JPG
2.jpg

Top Bottom