PDA

View Full Version : Question of the day For me The Noob Of Noobs Lol

NewMexicoDawG
05-23-2009, 08:10 AM
ok here I go on my rant for the day I live in New Mexico right I have a zip up hard case from MGM not sure what brand it is So I have a cool mist humidifier running and went yesterday and got a Herco case humidifier the small clay one u soak in water for 5 to 10 minutes will this be good for the ukulele because its so dry here in New Mexico I need a Hydrometer so gonna go to walmart and check that out.The topic of humidity kinda scares me LOL .where should I put my ukulele in the closet?In a plastic bag?I dunno such a noob :confused:

PS.OmG some chords are Hard I can't make them sound good LOL AND GOOD MORNING TO ALL MY NEW FRIENDS:) at UU

NewMexicoDoG
One Love:shaka:
Thank you UU for showing the beauty of the Ukulele

swervy jervy
05-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Perhaps focus on playing right now and enjoying that. The uke will be fine.

Uncle-Taco
05-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I know just how you feel. Utah is dry as a popcorn fart, too, and I worry about my instruments cracking...a lot.

I think your hard case and a decent humidifier will probably work for you. Just be diligent (but not paranoid) and make sure you keep distilled water in the humidifier and keep your case out of the sun and out from in front of the air conditioner vent and it'll be happy. Stay out of those famous New Mexico dirt storms and that "ant under a magnifying glass" sun you have down there and play and have fun.

SailQwest
05-23-2009, 09:20 AM
You should be fine keeping the uke in the case with the humidifier when you're not playing it. Where you're at is so dry that it would be nearly impossible to give your uke too much moisture, unless you shower or swim with it. :D

Do make sure to keep the case moist! My sister-in-law forgot to check that (she lives in NM, also), and the baritone that we gave her cracked. (This makes me so sad. We loved that uke, just didn't have room for it on the boat.:()

jellybean
05-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I think there are other threads on this topic and a uke minutes by Aldrine on making your own...get an old pill bottle or film canister...heat up a screwdriver and poke a bunch of holes in the bottle...soak a piece of florist's foam or a sponge in distilled water and put that in the bottle...presto. I've made a few of these and they work well. I do have a hygrometer, too...just to test things. Also, Kristen at Kanile'a recommended bringing uke and case into the bath with me when I shower...it helped to humidify the case when I first got the uke.

Good luck and have fun.

NewMexicoDawG
05-23-2009, 11:34 AM
to use purified water if that is all I have???:confused:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-23-2009, 12:10 PM
One Herco isn't going to be enough in NM. Those two holes are tiny! Two might do it but your local GOOD guitar shop should be able to advise you on what you need for your climate. A cheap alternative is a Ziploc baggie That you've punched some holes in and inserted a small piece of damp sponge. Remember, when it comes to humidity a bit too much is better than too little.
Keep in in a case when not in use away from any heater/AC vents.

buddhuu
05-23-2009, 12:13 PM
May I suggest that the Luthier section might be a good place to as this as well?

Also, the forum at Mandolincafe.com is a terrific source of information about the care of fragile and temperamental acoustic instruments - and they have a Builder/Repair section too. It's not a uke site, but the principles of care and maintenance apply similarly to both instruments.

Edit: The advice given by everyone above is great. Just pointing to other sources that may be able to offer additional info.

NewMexicoDawG
05-23-2009, 12:41 PM
48% in the case with one herco.....

CoffeeMate
05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
MGM recommends 50% ;)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-23-2009, 01:06 PM
48% in the case with one herco.....

Honestly it depends on what the humidity was in the environment in which it was built. Most luthiers like to build between 45% and 55% but who knows how your uke was built. If it was built at 80% RH then you are at the lowest limit with 48%. Too much information! Generally anything between 35% and 65% you should be fine with the closer to 50%, the better.
Now, stop worrying about it and go make that next video.:)

Uncle-Taco
05-23-2009, 01:31 PM
to use purified water if that is all I have???:confused:

I'd pick up a bottle of distilled water when you can (it's cheap.) The reason is because the minerals can affect your humidifier element, causing it to be either more or less hydrophyllic (there's a 2-dollar word for ya!:old:) --especially those green foam elements--and it won't work properly. It basically means water will evaporate from it too quickly or too slowly.

Enough use with really hard water can also leave mineral deposits inside your case (and on your instrument), but that's an extreme example. The reason I know is because I used to work in a cigar store and people always had trouble if they used tap water in their humidifiers.

YMMV and all that, but I believe it's worth the 79 cents or so.

pithaya9
05-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I use an Oasis humidifier you can tell when to add water , I also have the Oasis digital temp/hydrometer. I use the Herco in my other 2 cases. I check my cases twice a month for humidity. Be sure to use distilled water as others have suggested. Hope this helps. :cool:

Bubbalele
05-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Another thing is to avoid quick temp and humidity changes. Don't bring it in from hot to cold or cold to warm and crack the case open right away and pull the instrument out. You run a good chance of at least cracking the finish as everything expands and contracts at different rates. Kind of like running hot water over a jars lid to loosen it.

bt93
05-24-2009, 05:25 AM
i would not be too worried for right now because you dont have a solid uke (the kala is a laminate i think) and it is not as likely for them to crack unlike the solid ukulelels

Lori
05-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I use an Oasis humidifier you can tell when to add water , I also have the Oasis digital temp/hydrometer. I use the Herco in my other 2 cases. I check my cases twice a month for humidity. Be sure to use distilled water as others have suggested. Hope this helps. :cool:

I got an Oasis humidifier, and got the style that is supposed to hang from the strings. I should have gotten the style that clips to the case, since the long neck soprano is too shallow to hang the humidifier from the strings. I found the Herco humidifier didn't fit in my case very well. Does the Herco work even if you put it in the accessory compartment? Or does it need to be in the main compartment?

–Lori

NewMexicoDawG
05-24-2009, 10:39 AM
With my case the herco works fine I put it and a small Humidity meter by the neck it fits:).Dunno maybe I have a bigger case its a zip up hard case from MGM I cant see a brand name on it anywhere....Thinking if I had a latching hardshell it wouldnt work.

NewMexicoDoG
One love

Thank U Ukulele Underground for showing me the beauty of the Ukulele:shaka:

pithaya9
05-24-2009, 12:50 PM
I got an Oasis humidifier, and got the style that is supposed to hang from the strings. I should have gotten the style that clips to the case, since the long neck soprano is too shallow to hang the humidifier from the strings. I found the Herco humidifier didn't fit in my case very well. Does the Herco work even if you put it in the accessory compartment? Or does it need to be in the main compartment?

–Lori

I use the one that clips inside the case and it works great. The Hercos are in larger O'ahu cases. I accually prefer the Oasis humidifier as I think it works better. When I check the humidity readings the Oasis is usually 58% and the Herco's 55% :cool: