Favorite High G string set for tenor??

Astein2006

Reaction score
What are your favorite High G strings to use on your tenor?
I have a spruce/cherry tenor and just looking for options.

Thanks all!

Depends on the tenor. Your woods seem like the uke may be bright. I have found Worth Browns to work very well on brighter sounding tenors.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes it’s a bright uke. I don’t want to kill the sound just balance it out a bit.

Trying to mellow a bright tenor can be a long-term experiment. I have been trying for more than 10 years on one particular ukulele. My “current” solution was to use heavier strings and tune to Bb. Each uke is different as I was using Worth Browns years ago for a while, but the uke was still too bright.

The overall simple rule for strings, uke, guitar, etc., is the thicker the strings the fatter the sound. This is toughest with a ukulele because the thicker the strings the higher the tension. Too much can ruin the sound and coke the sustain (heavier strings will thud). Softer nylon strings can be thicker and may mellow the sound, but it will be trial and error. Hopefully you’ll get suggestions that are not just different fluorocarbon brands. FWIW, I prefer fluorocarbons, but I tune down “most” of my tenors to B, to maximize my preferred tone.

John

Today my favorite high g strings are the Worth Browns on the T1K. They seem to have a more balanced tone with the koa than the stock Martin 620 strings.

Today my favorite high g strings are the Worth Browns on the T1K. They seem to have a more balanced tone with the koa than the stock Martin 620 strings.

Worth Browns seem to get serious love here on UU. That might be my first choice.

I have three Spuce top ukes. All solid tops One black walnut, one mahogany both all solid back and sides. And Tiny Tenor solid Sitka spruce and laminate mahogany.. I’m not a big fan of worth Brown. I like Oasis Brights then Oasis warm. Currently all have dAddarrio flurocarbon which I’m really liking. I’ve tried lot of different high G. If you want to mellow brightness try Chee Maisel CR-CCR high G. Ground nylon. Nice sound strummed or finger picked. Fantastic easy tension and good clarity. Trying different strings is lots of fun. You will learn a lot of what you like. I change sets every two months. Up next will be new Red Sugars and Sugars ny Aquila. Good luck

I keep La Bella Pepe Romero strings on my Beau Hannam tenor with a redwood top. The A string speaks a little louder in this set. My acacia Pono gets Worth Brown Mediums.

I’ve had good high g tenor results with Oasis, Worth Browns, and PHD strings on 3 tenors. Living Water and Fremonts Blacklines should do well too.

Top Bottom