Kamoa spruce tenor

SamUke

Reaction score
Does anybody own one of these ukes that Aldrine has been playing in the uke videos? Is the body solid or just the top? Any info on them would be appreciated.

i wouldnt buy a laminate with a solid top for almost $500... thats a little ridiculous. U can buy a fully solid instrument for that, easily.

I think its all solid wood. not laminate back and sides. i will check to be sure. the mahogany ones are laminate.

I think its all solid wood. not laminate back and sides. i will check to be sure. the mahogany ones are laminate.

That would make perfect sense. I didn't pay attention to the price :eek: Can't find anything else about them. Do your magic Rayan

Email Sam at Larry's Music on Kaui, He can give you the 1st hand scoop on them. I believe the spruce top ones are all solid. I have a concert spruce top Kamoa that I really like. It's not fancy but it sounds nice and plays well.

i wouldnt buy a laminate with a solid top for almost $500... thats a little ridiculous. U can buy a fully solid instrument for that, easily.
Actually, it's not ridiculous at all. It may be a wiser choice!

You* won't notice any difference with laminate back and sides because these are primarily sound reflectors, not sound transmitters. In fact, since the vast majority of us hold the uke against our bodies, we actually deaden the back and reduce its reflectivity as well as its potential as a transmitter.

It helps that the wood used in the back and sides is heavier and more dense, to add to and complement the tonal complexity of the sound (most tops are lighter, more supple woods so they tend to carry a higher tonal range than the reflected wave). Rosewood, ebony, walnut, etc. are good side and back woods.

There are good arguments that a laminate side and back may actually reflect sound BETTER than a solid wood because it doesn't have the same absorption level as a solid wood (meaning more of the sound wave gets reflected to the front where it gets heard).

What matters most are the top, the bridge and saddle materials.
~~~~~
* Not "u" which would be pronounced "oo" by ook-koo-lele players!

ichadwick;140900 You[COLOR="Red" said:
*[/COLOR] won't notice any difference with laminate back and sides because these are primarily sound reflectors, not sound transmitters. There are good arguments that a laminate side and back may actually reflect sound BETTER than a solid wood because it doesn't have the same absorption level as a solid wood (meaning more of the sound wave gets reflected to the front where it gets heard).

I review acoustic guitars professionally for Acoustic magazine, and this assertion is not borne out by personal experience. The best laminate back and sides guitar I've tried is better than the worst all-solid, but the overlap is tiny - almost all the all-solids have been better than any with laminate back and sides. The difference, mind you, is most noticeable in the mid and low ranges, which the uke (baritone aside) doesn't really touch, so I can imagine that the effect is less pronounced on a uke.

Kamoa Spruce Ukulele [Anwers]

Aloha all,

Regarding the Kamoa Spruce Tenor and Concert

The soundboard is masters grade sitka spruce. The back and sides are Mahogany all the instrument is all solid wood.

The neck is one piece Mahogany.

If you have further questions you can email me
newrisingsun@hawaii.rr.com

Samuel

Aloha all,

Regarding the Kamoa Spruce Tenor and Concert

The soundboard is masters grade sitka spruce. The back and sides are Mahogany all the instrument is all solid wood.

The neck is one piece Mahogany.

If you have further questions you can email me
newrisingsun@hawaii.rr.com

Samuel

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum! I hope to visit your shop when I visit Kauai next summer, woo!

Kauai, home of the best coffee in the world and some of the most beautiful landscapes in the Hawaiian Islands.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the contribution.

Not to hijack this thread but interesting comment about Kaua'i coffee. I will "deach" friends a variety pack of island coffees from Kona (Hawaii), Ka'anapali Maui), Moloka'i, and Kaua'i, and the Kaua'i coffee is usually the least expensive but also the favorite of the bunch. I am surprised as Kona is what I would have expected. The Moloka'i Mule-Skinner coffee is most times in second place. ;)

Top Bottom